Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse with a nosebleed??

2 posters

Go down

Mouse with a nosebleed?? Empty Mouse with a nosebleed??

Post by DayHay212 Sun 27 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

On two occassions, my little mouse Ivy has had what looks like a huge nosebleed, and she has been coughing and trying to clean herself and getting little spots of blood everywhere. Both times the bleed resolved in a few minutes, but she lost quite a bit of blood for a little mouse. Of course, I took her to the vets immediately, both times, and each time I have come away with antibiotics for a URI.

As much as I appreciate my vets help... I've never ever heard of a nose bleed being a symptom of URIs? And the first time I took her to be examined, the vet even said she couldnt hear an infection in her, but prescribed the antibiotics to be safe.

I am skeptical also for a number of reasons:
- She took a full course of antibiotics and a few weeks later got another nose bleed.
- In the last few days she has started to do these little retching motions, she moves her head and chest back and forth, a bit like a cat with a hairball, like she is trying to get something up her throat/out of her nose?
- She has also worked out not to eat the treats coated in medicine so we have started using a syringe to give it to her. Obviously this is stressful, and a few times when she has been breathing really hard, her nose has started to bleed again.
- I have had her since she was a baby and she has always been a very talkative little mouse, always squeaking and chattering to herself. So maybe the nose bleeding is a symptom of a congenital issue..?

The main reason I am posting is because today she has been quite lethargic and I've noticed her ears are set back like she is in pain. I want to take her to a vet but I feel like I will get turned away because she has only just started her antibiotics so they will say that the infection hasnt had time to clear yet. However, the course of antibiotics lasts four more weeks, and I don't want to wait until its too late, and it's certainly not fair for her to be in pain for that long.

I kinda just want some advice or if anyone has experienced this and knows what could be up with her.

Thank you for your help.

DayHay212

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Mouse with a nosebleed?? Empty Re: Mouse with a nosebleed??

Post by Loving.pests Mon 25 Sep 2023, 1:58 pm

Hi there, I know this is old and I'm sure your little girl has already passed even just of old age. I'm sorry to remind you of this trouble, and I'm sorry no one replied in time. I'm wondering if you ever figured out this issue. I have a little guy with exactly the same symptoms, nosebleed (not quite as much as you described, but disturbing non-the-less), lethargy (extreme), and retching motions (like trying to cough up a hairball) that you described. I want to take him to the vet, but I'm worried about the same thing that you described. My vet seems to only have solutions for uri's and mites. If not one of the two, there's nothing she can do. He's also getting up in age - almost two. Hope to hear from you soon.

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down