Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to treat respiratory infection?

+3
MouseLover
CallaLily
Blackcandyapple
7 posters

Go down

How to treat respiratory infection? Empty How to treat respiratory infection?

Post by Blackcandyapple Sun 17 Jul 2016, 11:49 am

What it says on the tin, my understanding is healthy mice shouldn't make a peep? I've taken out the dusty bedding, and just put down paper bags (with some carefresh which i might have to dispose of b/c crawlers).

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

How to treat respiratory infection? Empty Re: How to treat respiratory infection?

Post by CallaLily Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:12 pm

If you suspect an URI, you'll need to make an appointment with your vet. They'll prescribe antibiotics. This is the only safe and effective treatment. 

If you suspect allergies, changing the bedding may help. Try newspaper. If that doesn't help, try removing all wooden items too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

How to treat respiratory infection? Empty Re: How to treat respiratory infection?

Post by MouseLover Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm

Yep, vet and antibiotics is the only treatment.

I just noticed what it says in your signature Sad sorry to hear about Matilda. Can I ask what happened?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 17 Jul 2016, 1:46 pm

If she has just one girl mouse left, could it be depression causing illness? Either way, she should definitely pick up a new mousey friend or two for Tabitha, and soon.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

how much money should I bring to the vet for the medicine, does it vary from place to place?

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:39 pm

Yes it will vary. If there are a few near you, you could call and ask for price quotes?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:11 pm

It definitely will vary place to place. You'll have to call to find out what they'll charge for the visit and any medication.

If you do have one lone female, it would be best to pick up at least 2 more girls if you can.  They'll need to go through a 3 week quarantine anyway before you introduce them all, so by then (with treatment) the URI should be taken care of.  3 females to a goup is the minimum recommended because it balances their hierarchy and when one passes, you're other two will still have each other.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:38 pm

I also have to treat her for crawlers (and possibly the new girls if they got them) treating her for both these things shouldn't complicated things should they? I'm gonna call a vet tomorrow that I think does 'pocket pets', if you've treated a mouse for a uri what did you spend on the medication?

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm

I don't think treating both at the same time will cause any issues.

For an URI, I think baytril would be prescribed?  Looking back at my records, the most I've been charged by my vet for just the baytril was $15.  BUT I think my vet is pretty cheap compared to others on here.  I think I've seen others say they usually expect to pay around $30 for meds?  It really varies depending on your location and the vet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:45 pm

Took her to the vet (3 vets actually) the first were nice and knowledgeable I'd say but they didn't have the medication on hand =/ got another app for her at a different vet for wed

anyways he wanted to give her doxycycline? a shot...what is baytril I thought it was something you put in their water, and what is doxycycline, I'd like to know how you've treated your mice.

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:07 pm

To answer your question, Baytril is an antibiotic. I've only ever used it as an oral medication but it might be available as a shot as well. Baytril is the most common medication that I see vets prescribe for URI and it is usually given orally by syringe. It's relatively inexpensive a far as medications go.

Also, you should never put medication in a mouse's water bottle. There is no way to know how much medication they are getting. And, it the medication tastes bad- it can lead to dehydration if the mouse is avoiding the bottle. If they get dehydrated enough, they can die and it can happen quick. I would be wary of any vet that even suggests putting medication in an animals water supply. Animals should always have fresh, clean, plain water available at all times.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:35 pm

Blackcandyapple wrote:Took her to the vet (3 vets actually) the first were nice and knowledgeable I'd say but they didn't have the medication on hand =/ got another app for her at a different vet for wed

anyways he wanted to give her doxycycline? a shot...what is baytril I thought it was something you put in their water, and what is doxycycline, I'd like to know how you've treated your mice.
Doxycycline is another type of antibiotic. I've taken it before when I had an upper respiratory infection just a few weeks ago.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Wed 20 Jul 2016, 12:29 am

Giving both doxy and baytril at the same time is a great way to knock out a URI in a mouse.
I'm not sure about injecting. That might be the method that causes something called "Baytril burn." Insist on buying liquid oral medication. Sometimes the vet can add attractive flavours to the mix, as well, so that the mouse is more likely to consume it. 

Oh, and have the vet give the first dose right there in the office! It is infuriatingly frustrating to medicate a mouse, so watching a pro attempt to do it can be helpful. Plus, it guarantees that she receives at least one dose, lol.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:09 am

If the URI isn't serious, just baytril should be fine. There's no reason to double-team it with baytril and doxy.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down