Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?

4 posters

Go down

Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?  Empty Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?

Post by willowone Fri 22 Apr 2022, 4:28 pm

Hello everyone. I suspect my mouse has mites and I want to treat using the post on here regarding ivermectin. I have called many vets and they refuse to look at a mouse.. I'm in Canada and I cannot find it anywhere, let alone a bottle less that 1liter. Where could I buy it online? Or a similar product that can be used topically?  Or any other suggestions on how to treat my mouse.
My mouse is a single male with itching and hair thinning where he scratches. His skin is also flaky on his back, but no scabs have appeared yet.

Last edited by willowone on Fri 22 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell correct)

willowone

Loving.pests likes this post

Back to top Go down

Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?  Empty Re: Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?

Post by cerial Sun 24 Apr 2022, 3:37 pm

I get mine at my local Tractior Supply Company or TSC. Any store that sells stuff for cattle, goats, or other farm animals should have it.

You may need to buy it in a 8.5oz container then dilute it 1 part to 5 parts water before applying it to your mouse.

Due to idiots using it on themselfs during covid it may be in a locked case.

Topical treatment would be best. But if you have mice you can't handle (like deer mice) then spraying diluted ivermectin over the fresh bedding each time you clean the cage works great to reduce mites and dust at the same time.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?  Empty Re: Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?

Post by j.n379 Wed 27 Apr 2022, 4:27 pm

I have been explicitly told by farm store employees in both BC and Ontario that it's been banned for sale in stores for years. Unless they've "unbanned" it recently, it was not available in any retail Canadian stores (in person or online) a couple years back.

Canadian vets recommend and use Revolution on mice for parasites and bugs, it's a tiny little drop, if you have a bigger pet you can get away with buying a tube for them and using a tiny plastic syringe to split it into drops for mice. It costs significantly less per ML as you go up in sizes of tubes and the biggest tubes are for big dogs, but you can buy it from a vet who has seen your pet before without an appointment usually which would be the main cost if you wanted it for your mouse specifically, since they are legally required to charge an exam fee for pets they don't know and that's upwards of $100 at this point. The Revolution itself is more like $20-40 depending on location, size, and provincial guidelines.
j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Where to buy ivermectin in Canada?  Empty Ivermectin dose. Is this the right stuff?

Post by Loving.pests Fri 30 Dec 2022, 5:44 pm

Hi all, I'm a semi newbie mouse owner. I'm also in Canada. Mice aren't popular here so vets here don't really know how to treat them. I'd go to get antibiotics for a URI if I have to, but I've learned that there is no point in going for anything else. I'm almost 100% sure that my mice have mites:( based on what I've read here. Based on what I've read here and on lab mice sites ivermectin works well for mites on mice and is relatively harmless if it doesn't, but I don't want to get the dose wrong because then it might be. I actually found some stuff here that I want to order: https://www.petsdrugmart.ca/en/Product/Ivermectin-Liquid-for-Horses-120979/5522

But I wonder if some of the more experienced mice owners could confirm that once I order it, the ratio of dilution will be 5 water to 1 ivermectin. And then a .01 drop between the shoulders plus spraying lightly on bedding after cage clean. I just want to make sure that I found the right stuff because all the posts I've seen on here are of products from the UK.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down

Post by j.n379 Fri 30 Dec 2022, 7:20 pm

I've had decent luck taking my mice to Canadian vets recently actually! Expensive, but they've seemed to get much more comfortable treating mice as a whole since I started with owning them ten years ago. Not for surgeries, but for this kind of stuff, antibiotics or mite treatment, they seem to have seen more mice recently from the general public being more willing to bring them in. I haven't ever managed to find ivermectin here before now (I'm gonna bookmark that!) I hope someone who has used it can come by and let you know if it's good enough and correct dilution, but just as a note, that says it's backordered so if it's gonna be a long time to get it you run the risk of a mouse developing ocd if they're left to scratch at mites for too long. And that's not really able to be effectively treated at this point (low success rate, not impossible but unlikely) and it's extremely sad to watch.

I've used food-grade (NOT filter grade) diatomaceous earth (Canadian Tire, hardware stores, $10-20) in a thin layer, just a light dusting underneath the bedding and shaken into a handful or two of bedding at the very bottom, to successfully handle grain mites that have been sneaking in on the bedding or food, it might work on the ones that actually bite mice, alongside a good cage clean, or if it'll be a while to get ivermectin or if they end up not restocking, you can always go in with a plan to tell the vet that you are fairly sure it's mites and you just want revolution for them, it'll cost much more than the ivermectin with the appointment charge but it's very effective and very safe and vets are perfectly happy to hand it out because of its safety. It however is not considered safe on *pregnant* mice so you'd want to be fairly sure they aren't pregnant (28 days after bringing them home is more than long enough with new girls to be absolutely sure they aren't, as long as you've sexed them correctly, generally 23-24 days is also long enough but I always add a few days just in case) before applying it but it's a good backup plan if the ivermectin turns out to either not be right or not work out for whatever reasons.

Edit: oh you're in Toronto! Oh you'd have no issue finding a vet that'll see mice there, since you can call around to quite a few. I've found one in Niagara so worst case I guess if you have a ride that far I could tell you their info but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need to go that far.
j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down