Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't pinpoint mouse noises

2 posters

Go down

Can't pinpoint mouse noises Empty Can't pinpoint mouse noises

Post by Kadin72 Wed 04 Jan 2023, 1:57 pm

My mouse Henry was making a bunch of sounds while he was in his tank so I took him out to check on him and he seems fine, I can't pinpoint if it was chirping or clicking but he continued making noises after I picked him up so I recorded it. He's not hunched in pain and his breathing doesn't sound labored I think, after a couple minutes he has completely stopped making noise and is just hanging out with me. Was he just vocalizing or is he sick? I'm not very good at differentiating noises.

Kadin72

Back to top Go down

Can't pinpoint mouse noises Empty Re: Can't pinpoint mouse noises

Post by Loving.pests Thu 05 Jan 2023, 4:11 pm

More often than not, in my experience sounds like that corresponded with respiratory infection.

I have had two mice that were very vocal. The noises both these mice made corresponded to me picking them up, and they were both very people friendly mice, so I think it was some kind of attempted communication with me or just an expression of excitement. The noise they usually made wasn't like that though. It was a very high pitched whistle, right at the top of my hearing range. I tried to record it with my phone and it didn't work, so I don't think the phone even picks up that frequency. However, I remember one of my noisy mice (she's since passed) made noises pretty much like that when I was paying attention to her and a respiratory condition never developed. She sadly died of a tumour, but she never had a respiratory complication or trouble.

However, I've had 3 mice that made a similar noise that did develop into a respiratory infection. Two of them recovered with antibiotics very quickly and haven't had problems since (now 6 months have passed). The other sadly passed because I didn't know enough at the time to read the signs and I didn't get her help in time.

The mouse in your video also looks to me to have slightly ruffled fur (no hunching), but ruffled fur which is also a sign of sickness. His face also looks a little sick to me. I don't know what I'm seeing there. It's just I've had a few mice with respiratory infections and you can kind of see it around their eyes. However all mice are very different and it could be just how his hair looks. What I'm seeing on his face could just be age or how he looks normally. If he looks totally normal to you I'd just watch him a little more and keep listening. If he's doing that when you aren't even paying attention to him, and there is nothing else going on it's probably respiratory. It's good to treat soon if that's the case because the outcomes are way better.

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down

Post by Loving.pests Thu 05 Jan 2023, 4:20 pm

the other thing is that mice with respiratory problems are often intermittent with their noises, difficulty breathing, sneezing episodes ect.

One of the mice who recovered had the worst episodes with breathing difficulty (worse than the one who passed). She was wheezing and side sucking for over an hour. I held her thinking that she was going to die, and then her breathing went completely back to normal and she went about her business. I couldn't get her to the vet for two days. She had another more mild episode the morning I took her to the vet, and then her breathing was completely normal at the vets. I had to insist that she was sick to get the antibiotics. She also didn't have ruffled fur or any other symptoms, but it turned out she was lethargic. I just didn't know her well enough. She's now my most active mouse! Anyways, the other symptom she had was those noises, but they were very periodic. If they don't seem to be triggered by you or another mouse than they are probably respiratory.

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down