Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild Mouse Cuteness!

+7
Rodents rock!
CallaLily
EverythingAnimal
CinnamonPearl
lupus_corde
Peachy
stephlisa
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Empty Wild Mouse Cuteness!

Post by stephlisa Fri 29 Jul 2016, 9:44 am

(So I wasn't quite sure where to put this because its a mouse...but its a wild mouse...so moderators feel free to move this to where you think is appropiate!)

But oh my goodness HOW CUTE IS THIS LITTLE MOUSE!!!???
Spotted eating grass seeds literally 5 minutes ago at the very bottom of my garden.  Ahhhhh I got overwhelmed by cuteness!

I first spotted this moving brown thing crossing the path in front of me as I was about to harvest some veg, so I dashed back inside for my camera...(I've always wanted to photograph small rodents in the wild) and then spent the next 30 mins trying to find it again...and this is the result.  But oh my...just so cute!

I don't know whether to be concerned that its out and about at this time of day...(about 3pm in the afternoon)...I would expect it nearer dusk...I'll be keeping an eye for this little one again though - I'm totally overwhelmed by its cuteness...I mean, I love Colin and pet mice...but I get such a thrill and a sense of excitement seeing a mouse out in the wild...particularly when it looks so cute like this!

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03116

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03117

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03115

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03118

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Empty Re: Wild Mouse Cuteness!

Post by Peachy Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:08 am

Oh my gosh, awesome pictures. He's adorable! And such a pretty coat. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:29 am

Soooo cute! Unfortunately I see many wild mice but they are all "presents" from the cat. Sometimes I manage to save them but not very often. Slow worms seem to be the creatures that "make it", always getting them in the spring/summer, in warm weather up to 5 five per day!

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:41 am

@abeona its the first time I've been able to take photos of a wild mouse (might be the first time I've seen a properly wild one too now I think about it)! I love the coat too - so many shades of brown!

@lupus_corde I don't think I'd cope with presents like that from a cat...I mean, we can't have a cat because I'm just so allergic to them, but I don't know how all you cat people manage! I'd love to see a slow worm...I've seen lots of grass snakes but not a slow worm yet!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:52 am

I guess it's because in my back garden there is a fence separating the grass and (what I call) the big bush, It's a small forested type area so she finds lots of wildlife there. I had a cat called beanie (my current cats brother, he went missing about 2 years ago) who brang home a whole birds nest. He just strutted towards us with the nest in his mouth, the babies were inside Sad We have had a pigion in the house before and a baby squirrel who unfortunately did not make it. I guess you just get used to it, after all it's what they do naturally and there is not much I can do to stop it Sad

lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:55 am

Wow...yeah, I guess you probably do get used to it.
It seems like one of those "I know its natural and normal, but I'll chose not to think to hard about it" moments! To be fair, if they weren't preyed upon my predators then we'd get overrun...so its probably a good thing really!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:01 am

It certainty is one of those moments. Actually I should kinda thank my cat, because when she brang home a mouse one day I thought "I wish I could save these poor creatures and keep them" and it struck me, why don't I get pet mice! And since then I have done my research and in a weeks time I will be picking up my first ever mice! I'm not really "saving" anything as fancy mice aren't wild but I'm glad I am getting them anyway!

lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:10 am

I'm glad my cat is indoor. I just personally don't think having an outdoor or an indoor-outdoor cat is a safe practice. (Not that I judge anyone who does it; it's just not for me.) That way, he won't ever be bringing home any wild animals!

Those are some lovely photos. What a cute little mouse! I've never actually seen a wild mice in real life.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:20 am

The only time I make sure my cat is indoors is at night, I live on a quiet road with lots of nature so she is an outdoor cat, however for people who live on busy roads or where there is lots of risks I totally understand! Smile I always think if she brings home animals that it is a sign she is healthy as her vision/reactions are in check, it can be sad/frustrating to us but natural and healthy to them Smile

lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:38 am

I don't have a cat, but my neighbor's cat is free-roaming in the day, so she often sits and waits under a bush next to my bird feeder waiting for the right moment... thank goodness I've never seen her get one! I've only seen the aftermath one time in my neighbors garden... that was nasty!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:47 am

I live in a quiet neighborhood too. I just feel like there are too many risks to feel comfortable with it. A driver might not be paying attention, there could be other dangerous animals like dogs and raccoons about, and you can never rule out that there won't be some crazy person willing to steal a cat and do god knows what with him. Plus, some outdoor cats head out and just never come home. I just prefer to keep Felix inside where he's safe. Though I would like to take him for walks someday. Just because I don't want him out on his own doesn't mean I want to deprive him of getting to be outside on a nice summer day.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

My only cat that has permission to go out in the daytime (when we're home) hasn't shown interest in hunting, thankfully. There is a neighborhood cat who likes to meow at my door with dead stuff until I tell him "thanks, but no one wants that." Then he drops it and goes to find another one.

I haven't seen any mice outside, but I've seen moles pop out of their little holes by my tree. Not as cute as a mouse, but still kinda neat! lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:42 pm

Great pics! I imagine it's no easy thing, catching such clear pics of a wild mouse. I know it isn't easy even with my tame pet mice!

I've had cats that were indoor/outdoor and some did like to bring home gifts. But we decided it was best to keep our kitties indoor only for a while now and any future kitties too. There's too much risk with cars (even here in the country), disease, sick people (there are those here that seem to take pleasure in killing cats or view them as pests*), plus they're not truly native so they wreak havoc on the natural wildlife.

*Abandoned and feral cats are a big problem here. Some are cared for by people or communities that do tnr programs but there are quite a few people that poison or shoot (illegally), or ship them off to a shelter - and they don't often take the time to determine if that cat is indeed feral or a lost pet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 29 Jul 2016, 3:52 pm

This poor mouse was either exhausted, dehydrated, poorly or just felt very safe...because at one point I found it napping in some similar positions to how I've seen Colin nap - but out in the open! I gave it some water and put a few seeds near it. After these photos it did get up, drink some water, remember I was there and run away again! Last seen munching some more grass seeds.

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03119

Wild Mouse Cuteness! Dsc03120

I still think its adorably cute (and I hope none of the neighbourhood cats find it!)

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 29 Jul 2016, 4:20 pm

Look at his white. And the whiskers. Ee! Love
I hope he's alright. Maybe he just wanted to pose. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next