Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today.

4 posters

Go down

Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today. Empty Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today.

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 24 Aug 2016, 11:13 pm

So, today while I was at PETsMART I asked if they ever have special needs animals in the back that need homes or animals that are back there because they didn't sell. They said they currently don't have any animals in the back. They said they had a guinea pig that was blind in one eye so they weren't permitted to sell or adopt it out. Someone wanted the guinea pig so PETsMART had to sell it to the Humane Society so they could then adopt out the guinea pig to the person.

I've never heard of such a process. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I just wanted to help out a hamster or a mouse in need. Mouse30
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today. Empty Re: Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today.

Post by scaredymouse Thu 25 Aug 2016, 12:12 am

I've never heard of such a process. I've gotten several animals from the backroom and they simply just adopt them out to me at discounted price. I have mostly done this at Petco, though.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today. Empty Re: Asked about the "back room" at Petsmart today.

Post by CAPSLOCK Thu 25 Aug 2016, 6:43 am

No legitimate rescue is going to buy an animal at all, from petsmart or otherwise. Sounds like they are not permitted to sell animals that have a health issue, but they aren't able to do an adoption themselves so they go through a rescue so it's not breaking their rules (or maybe a law in that area). The rescue would just be the middleman - but again the rescue wouldn't pay for that animal regardless.
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 25 Aug 2016, 8:46 am

That is what I thought too, what rescue is going to pay for an animal from a pet store. I honestly don't even want to ask the Petco here in my area because the store is filthy and the animal cages are filthy and very overcrowded which leads me to believe there is a lot of disease there. I've even complained to the manager there about the lack of care to the small animals and how it's not right how many animals they have per cage and that they are sitting in their own feces and he assured me it would be corrected immediately. A friend of mine went in there later that evening and nothing had been done, the animals were still sitting in feces and when she asked one of the workers about it, she was told they clean out the cages every Wednesday. So since this was a Sunday, those poor animals would be in those conditions for a few more days. Then the cycle would start all over again. I just wanted to buy them all and get them out of those conditions, but I don't have the means do do that, plus even if I did, they would just get more. It's truly sad what the Petco here does to the small pets that are at their mercy.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

I don't have anything to add, but I wanted to mention that when I was last at PetSmart, an employee told me that someone (a horrible person) dropped off a buck in the front of the store. She shed she had been taking care of it and wanted to find It a good home. Oh how I wanted to take him! But it's not the time for a buck right now.

When I got my first girls, another employee said they had a mouse in the back that they were treating for an ear infection, an that she was going to take her home.
They both seemed very knowledgeable about mice. I think I got lucky with my local PetSmart!
EverythingAnimal
EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 25 Aug 2016, 10:33 pm

Interesting. Who knows, maybe if I asked a different person at my PETsMART, I might get a different answer.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down