Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AppleCheeks - The Zoo

+16
River
Rodents rock!
stephlisa
AnonymousMouseOwner
CallaLily
goldfishfanforever
MesaMouse
Artistwolf
Mouseketeers
scaredymouse
Upendiparrot
MouseLover
Peachy
CinnamonPearl
cloverfieldmouse
AppleCheeks
20 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Empty Re: AppleCheeks - The Zoo

Post by AmyLynn Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

Oh wow! A new baby goat...it must be fate! You will gave to take picture and post them once the goats gets there.

You take the best animal pictures ever! I love following your thread.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Fri 17 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

AmyLynn wrote:Oh wow! A new baby goat...it must be fate! You will gave to take picture and post them once the goats gets there.

You take the best animal pictures ever! I love following your thread.
"Fate" is definitely the word that I'd use.
Even though the particular line these goats are from are known to throw twins/triplets (Mum is a triplet, her mum was a triplet too!), my friend and I had a discussion about what would happen if there was only one baby. Who would get it even though I was the one doing all the bottlefeeding etc. We came to the agreement that if it was a girl, she would get to have her after she was weaned. If it was a boy, then he would get to stay with me - she has more use for a girl and I only wanted a friend for my other goat, Trouble.
Like I mentioned, there was 3 babies and 2 didn't make it. The two that didn't make it? Both girls. The survivor? A gorgeous little boy!

I'll definitely post some pictures when he's settled. My week is going to be pretty hectic and with it being winter, it'll be a bit weather dependent for pictures. The real trick will be getting him to accept a bottle!

-----

I was never a fan of posting pictures taken with my cellphone (hey, the quality is poor sometimes) but here's two pictures for you all.

1. A Wet Chicken aka Squigg.
I don't think he's taken a bath since I got him. I've gotten so use to having Beanie and Atlas who basically just "go for a dip" in their water bowls that it didn't even occur to me that Squigg might not have a clue about baths.
Beanie and Atlas hate the mister so I never use it on them but I figured I'd give it a go with Squiggs and oh my gosh! He was so darn cute! Such a happy wee bird - The problem? He decided he needed to get a really good soaking - not the problem - he rolled over slightly... into all the husks from his morning millet. Soaking wet bird.. now covered in millet.
I wish I had of gotten a picture of that instead of just a clean wet Squigg.
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 39293410

2. My Oddball Sable Rex
I've been having a lot of fun working with the "C" locus with my rabbits - I acquired 3 c-dilute rexs back in December, genes that are completely new to me. There is so many modifiers and things that can alter their appearance so even if you have two rabbits who have the same genetics on the known loci/locuses? they can look vastly different.
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 39441810
So genetically speaking, he's a sable. That's obvious in itself anyway but he is very light for a sable.

To kind of show what I mean in the variation regarding modifiers, this is his aunt who is also a sable (they are identical gene wise, it's all modifiers)
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_6410
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 18 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Congrats on the baby goat! Goats are so adorable, I look forward to future pictures. Smile

Laughing about Squigg. It must be some kind of rule that freshly clean pets must roll around in something dirty. Laughing

Cute bunnies too. Love

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Wed 22 Aug 2018, 3:43 am

The last few days have been.. stressful to say the least.
Callie had surgery to remove two lumps around her shoulder/rib cage area. The vet is pretty certain they're benign which is fantastic news. The problem? She keeps scratching at the suture sights.. with her back legs.. so there isn't any real way to stop her. We've put socks on, kept a really good eye on her and stopped her any time she looked like she was going to scratch but the suture sights still "leak" a little regardless - who wants blood smeared everywhere? Eugh.

I picked up Chance yesterday and my god, I forgot how hard it was to get a kid to accept a bottle. Ideally he should be getting 6 feeds a day of 150ml each time. I'm LUCKY if I can get 50ml into him before he absolutely refuses anymore which of course has me worrying that somehow this will cause serious problems in the future (Yay anxiety).

On top of that? I'm sick. Head cold, chest infection.

And of course my Dad is at the stage of boredom and frustration where he gets annoyed easily. I don't blame him, for a man who is so use to ALWAYS doing something to have to sit down, be house bound and stuck in a cast and crutches for 6 more weeks THEN to still be house bound but in some funky high heels? I'd be going nuts too!

So all in all, I'm stressed. I've cried plenty but that's not the point of this post what-so-ever.

I'd like you all to meet the wee Chance!
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7713AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7714AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7715AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7716
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:57 am

I am sorry you have not been feeling so well. That does make problems seem even harder to overcome.  

All though I have not had to deal with baby goats...I have dealt with several other pet and wild baby animals and the only thing that is predictable is that they are unpredictable. You just have to roll with the punches and do the best you can day by day.  Love love for your animals will carry you through.

Oh...and I love the name Chance!

Last edited by AmyLynn on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I cant type...)

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:50 am

Thankfully today was a much better day, even if health wise I feel so much worse lol.
Chance has finally figured out what a bottle is.. sort of. He still doesn't drink much (50-100ml) but the amount is increasing and better yet? He's suckling! He's actually starting to suck on the teat! Granted he is still a little shy of people and doesn't willingly accept the bottle (so I still have to open his mouth and out the teat in to get him started).
The lady who owns his mum, her kids named him "Lucky Chance" since he was the sole survivor so I shortened it to "Chance" - it also means I don't have to name him which is great! Otherwise he would just end up being called "Goat" or "Trouble #2" lol

Callie, while still scratching every now and then, her suture sights have started to scab over. Mostly. Still a bit oozy but no where near as much and it's 90% plasma ooze (ya know, that clear to slightly yellow tinged fluid that comes with any wound). So we are on the up and up! Sutures get pulled in 5-6 days.

Chance has been coming to work with me the last few days since he needs a few feeds during the times I'm at work. I can't tell you how hilarious it is to see people's faces when they either hear him bleet because its getting close to food time or they see this wee goat jumping around in one of the runs - or alternatively snoozing away on a blanket in the office.
For the record, I work at a boarding kennel and cattery. Regular clients have gotten use to the strange animals I bring into work, others.. not so much.
Terrible cellphone pictures for you Smile
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_2010AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_2011AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_2012AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Receiv10
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 23 Aug 2018, 9:02 am

Chance is so cute! I’m glad he’s starting to catch on to the bottle. I hope you feel better soon.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Fri 24 Aug 2018, 2:44 am

Oh my gosh, note to self - never post cellphone pictures! They're such bad quality! Is it weird that I feel like apologizing for sharing such terrible pictures? Laughing

The downside to loving your job and your boss? You feel insanely guilty about taking a day off work when you're sick - it's my first actual sick day off in the 2.5 years I've worked there.
Regardless, I feel sooooo much better though I did spend most of it curled up on the couch nodding off.

In amongst the nodding off, I pruned my wee bamboo plant - yeah, super exciting stuff right? I mean the birds seemed to enjoy the little offcuts. Atlas (Green IRN), Squiggs (Cinnamon tiel) and Beanie (masked lovebird)
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7720AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7721
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7810AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7722AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7812AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7811

And just for added cuteness, a few pictures of Chance for you guys Smile
He's suckling on the bottle like a pro now, 150-200ml each feed EASILY but he looks pretty porky with 200ml. Mind you, according to the recommended amount by this age he should be drinking 350ml. We just can't keep up Laughing
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7814
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7815
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7813
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7816
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7817
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 24 Aug 2018, 9:56 am

No need to apologize for pic quality. They still get the point across — cute animals! Anyway, my pics are way worse so you won’t hear any complaints from me. Laughing  

The birds are very pretty. I imagine with Chance, much like human babies, so long as they are steadily growing and developing there’s no need to overly worry about the exact amount they’re eating. He certainly looks healthy and full of energy. Smile

I’m glad you’re feeling better.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Fri 24 Aug 2018, 1:50 pm

@callalily that's my theory too with regards to Chance. Funny thing is? Turns out the 4 feeds 350ml thing was for lambs. He's meant to be getting 3 feeds of 450ml lol. I let him drink drink til he was "full" (his decision, within reason of course) and 225ml was all he could manage.

Currently he's getting 5 feeds of 200ml but todays plan is to cut him down to 4 feeds of 200 but increase the amount of milk powder - the water is basically just a convenient delivery system for the milk powder and all its nutrients. When he's big enough to handle more water etc, I'll increase that too.
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Fri 24 Aug 2018, 11:38 pm

DNA is back - Little Squiggly is a BOY!
Celebratory bath!
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Wed 29 Aug 2018, 1:19 am

AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_7310
I think today was the day I got pushed to my limits. With Dad being in a cast and crutches, there is a lot of stuff that I'm having to do by myself - some of which is stuff I'd normally require help with, a second pair of hands ya know? I've gotten use to most of it so I guess it's not really a worry but overall it's enough to have me stressed.
Today, Dad got his second cast - woo! Only 5 more weeks of cast. Oh wait.. there's still 8 weeks after that of special shoes and being house bound lol.
Callie went in for her post op check (after her lump removal surgery 10 days ago) along with suture removal. 30 minute drive home and bam, she jumps out of the car and bust one of the wounds wide open.
Emergency trip back to the vets, me thinking the worst (after spending $1000 on the lump removal, I didn't think my bank account could handle another surgery) but hey! My vets are pretty amazing and just stapled her up and sent us on our way.

2 weeks of crate rest for Callie - thankfully my Dad is pretty happy to have the company while he's house bound too.
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 29 Aug 2018, 10:54 am

Group Hug I can’t imagine how tough it’s been on you with all the extra work. Don’t forget to take care of yourself too and set some time aside to just do whatever you love or find relaxing each day!!

I hope your dad and Callie’s recovery continue to go as smoothly as possible. I know it’s no fun for them being cooped up either! Heart

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Mon 03 Sep 2018, 9:48 pm

So... this happened.
Hey cutie!
AppleCheeks - The Zoo - Page 7 Img_8010
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Mon 24 Sep 2018, 11:52 pm

The story of Pepee continues. I swear to gosh this cockatiel needs to be renamed to Boomerang or something at this point because this is getting ridiculous.

So I think in my last post mentioning Pepee, my friend was going on holiday and Pepee was going to come to me. Well.. that didn't happen - said friend couldn't get her in the cage and she ran out of time and had to leave to catch her flight.
While she was on holiday, I was in contact with a friend who was looking at getting another tiel - GREAT! Perfect right? She wanted a wee velcro bird for her daughter who is obsessed with their current tiel.
When my friend got back from her holiday I introduced them and ta da, everything worked out and Pepee got a fantastic new home or so I thought - that was 2 weeks ago.

Today.. The new owner contacts my friend saying Pepee is just too much for them and it's not working out. She's "annoying", keeps trying to steal their food (welcome to bird ownership folks!), she's bonded with the husband who hates her, the list continues.

Fate would have it that I am meant to have this bird. My friend is off to have surgery tomorrow and well..
It's official.

I pick up Pepee Friday morning. She is definitely getting a name change though!
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum