Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby mice needs rescue

3 posters

Go down

Baby mice needs rescue Empty Baby mice needs rescue

Post by Mickeymouse Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:00 pm

Hi,

My dog found a baby mouse at the park a few days ago, so I took him home knowing it probably wouldn't survive. I believe it is a hopper mice, the ones usually fed to snakes? I don't want to return it back to the pet store knowing it will most likely be sold again as food. I tried looking for a rodent rescue near me but have not had any luck. I live in southern California, would anyone know of any rescues or someone who may want another mice friend? It is the cutest thing ever!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Renee

Mickeymouse

Back to top Go down

Baby mice needs rescue Empty Re: Baby mice needs rescue

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm

Hello! May I ask you what makes you think this mouse is a pet store mouse? Wild mice and pet store mice are very different, and if you have a wild mouse, the best thing to do would be to release it somewhere safe as soon as it can eat solids and looks healthy. However, if somehow your dog did find a pet store mouse, you should probably try to find a good home for it as long as it can eat solids, that is if you don't want to or can't keep it yourself.
If the mouse can't eat solids, I suggest checking out this section right away for information on how to care for it: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t42-caring-for-orphaned-mice

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickeymouse Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm

It eats solids and drinks water on its own. I tried releasing it near my house where it's safe, but it will not move from that spot. It doesn't look like a wild mouse but than again what do I know. Thanks for your help!

Mickeymouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:33 pm

If it is a wild mouse, it might just be too scared to move at first. Is it the usual wild mouse color? Can you get a picture of it?
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickeymouse Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm

It's all white with red eyes. It's about 1 1/2" (super tiny) and it hopped around in the beginning, but now it's super fast on its feet. If you google hopper mice or feeder mice, that's exactly how it looks like. If it were a pet store mice and I release him back to nature will it survive?

Mickeymouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:09 am

Don't release him. Pet store mice don't survive in the wild.

Could you ask around at shelters to see if they know of one that could take him? Or perhaps you could search for small animals on petfinder.com to find a rescue near you... if they have other rodents they might take him, too.

Maybe use this link to find a vet near you and ask if they know of anywhere you can take him?
http://vetective.com/VetSearch.aspx
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down