Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Empty Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia

Post by AngeW Sat 31 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

Hi, my name is Angela, I had mice when when I was very small, and in the last few years have got back into keeping them. After getting involved with a mouse and rat rescue group, I have taken on lots of unwanted boys Sad and pregnant females. I get the boys neutered and they ultimately live happily with the girls, but there are always lots of antisocial young boys before they are ready to mingle. I love them all to bits and spend a lot of time keeping them happy and entertained. My partner has become a mouse fan too, and looks after little lost wildies in his auto workshop
I'll add a video when I figure out how!
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Empty Re: Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia

Post by Peachy Sun 01 Jan 2017, 12:36 am

Welcome! It's so sweet of you to take in unwanted mice, and very interesting that you get them neutered! I don't think we have any other neutered males on the forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing your video. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Empty Re: Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia

Post by CallaLily Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:18 am

Welcome. Awesome that you rescue unwanted and pregnant mice!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 01 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

Welcome! hello3

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Sun 01 Jan 2017, 5:00 pm

Awww but widdle boysies are the best! Love

How does it work with getting them fixed? I thought of doing so with Flynn and getting a lil girlie for company but honestly I'm so scared of putting him under, especially because he's from a pet shop and those aren't exactly the hardiest and most carefully bred stock in the world...
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Sun 01 Jan 2017, 5:19 pm

Thank you everyone! Regarding neutering, there are mixed opinions on what is the best age to get them fixed. I had two done a few years ago, my vet at the time recommended six weeks, and the recovered really quickly, the next batch I picked up ditrectly from the rescue group's animal hospital, they were a bit older, but it still went ok. The next ones were 6-8weeks old and currently I have four boys which will go in with two other foster carer's babies,the animal hospital suggested 3 months but personally I think the younger the better. The little ones recovered from the anaesthetic in ten minutes and we're back to normal. I think the main thing is to find a vet who does them regularly. You have to wait four weeks for the hormones to Peter out too, but my boys get along with the girls so well and are so happy. I also have one older entire boy living with three brothers, two fixed and one half fixed (a chubby baby, the vet could only find one!) and a fixed boy from another litter and they get along great too. I hate the idea of boys getting left on their own, unless they get lots of attention
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Sun 01 Jan 2017, 5:43 pm

Mine is a lonely only, but so am I, so he gets handled daily- if I had it my way he'd just ride around in my pocket 24/7 but he'd never put up with that, haha. Thank you so much for the information! I'll give it a think, but even if I never do it for Flynn there might be others for whom it's a good option in the future.
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Sun 01 Jan 2017, 5:49 pm

Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Fb_20110
The boys do get very attached to their humans! Does Flynn like a rub on his cheek, my boys all love cuddles Smile

Last edited by AngeW on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : add video)
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Mon 02 Jan 2017, 8:57 pm

(sorry, my notifications don't seem to be working for some reason)

Awww that's so sweet, oh I would absolutely give my eyeteeth if Flynn would let me do that. We're not there yet, I don't even think I've had him a month yet, he's young and flitty and still hasn't decided if we're friends.
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:28 pm

Jake was the best mouse ever, I miss him so much!
The boys all seem to come around in time, if you handle them enough, be patient Smile
The only downside is they end up demanding pats all the time, Jake got around an hour a day but he would have liked more.
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:52 pm

*checks calendar* Yeah it's been almost, but not quite, 2 weeks since I got him. He's probably just about 6 weeks old now, he was barely weaned when I got him, I think, he was so impossibly teensy.

I'm looking forward to him being my cuddly little pal! I adore my hamster and he's super friendly (especially for a hammie), always excited to see me as he's very food motivated. However, he's also still a hamster and thus very independent. He is glad to see me and especially glad to come out and get to play outside the cage and receive treats, but he doesn't really care if he sees me every day, in fact he sometimes hangs out in his little hidey house for a couple days at a time and doesn't come out to see me at all. Hoping for a little more interaction from Flynn. I can't have anything bigger than these two for a pet right now and I miss feeling needed!
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Mon 02 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

I'm fascinated with hamsters, they are illegal to keep in Australia so we never get to see them in person.
They certainly are all different personalities, my oldest boy Gingernut is so shy and so nocturnal it's a rare treat to lay eyes on him at all. He'll come over for a treat, if he happens to be up, but I often have to check on him just to make sure he's still alive!
Poor little Flynn, he'll still be settling in, he'll come around! Once they start to enjoy a pat on the cheek or on top of their head, they soon get addicted.
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Mon 02 Jan 2017, 11:31 pm

Oh yeah, I never thought of that. I guess I can see why you'd have a lot of illegal pets, the ecosystem seems to have been hit harder by imported species than most other places with the same problem, except maybe Hawaii is tied or something I suppose.

Hamsters are fun, they are like having a teeny tiny animated teddy bear with the personality of an incorrigible but ultimately desperately lovable toddler or old person- individual, independent, opinionated, saucy little curmudgeons that are so endearing you can't help but love every grumpy minute.

Making friends with a hamster just feels cool. They don't need you in an emotional way like a rat or mouse might- they live alone in the wild and will come together long enough to mate but after that, "get lost or get eaten!" The fact that they come to seek out and value your presence because they associate it with what they find rewarding is just... really neat. He's independent and proud but also tiny and a prey animal, so the fact that he not only will trust me to pick him up and do weird uncomfortable things like tip him over when I'm giving him a health check or snip his nails, but actually gets excited when he sees me and runs straight into my hand... yeah, that's a compliment, y'know?
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Tue 03 Jan 2017, 5:43 pm

Even rabbits are illegal in some states! They do sound hilarious, I don't know if you've ever come across John Jenrette of the Mouse Palace on Facebook, but he gives the general impression that hamsters can be a handful!! He has dozens of girl mice and takes the most amazing photos of them.Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Screen13
Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Screen17
Rescue mice in Melbourne, Australia  Screen16
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Tue 03 Jan 2017, 9:13 pm

Oh my gawd I must, MUST own that tee shirt. Twisted

The hams are certainly handfuls, but they squirm right into your heart. We called them our "little monsters" and all of them have been named for monsters (there was Chimera, Yeti, Bunyip, and now Hodag). We were like a pair of newlyweds with a new baby, rushing home to the flat to play with Chimera, always trying to find new ways to keep her busy- if she got bored she'd turn her considerable skills toward escaping her cage.

When she died we got Yeti, and he was our little fur child. He was terribly spoiled, and absolutely as mellow as they come. He bit exactly once in his entire life, when I took him to the vet because he had caught the respiratory infection that ended up taking his life. Poor baby, he was dying, and I was holding him so the vet could snip a couple nails that were getting really scraggly as long as we were there. He was over 2 years old and far too old to handle an infection (which I don't know how he even got, truth be told, so it honestly might have been something else just due to his advanced age) but I'd gotten it into my head that he'd be fine (denial) and finally he nipped me hard, like "hey, stop, I feel like garbage and I'm totally done!"

Unfortunately where he'd bit, he'd got me just right, and though I was in no pain there was blood oozing pretty freely from the site. I was all "awww poor baby, you're fine" and the vet was giving me the side eye as though I'd just taken a mauling from a panther and said "it's really not that fine." I looked at her and was like "he can't speak English, you know." Don't diss my dying hamster, woman! :/

When he was in his final throes, he came out of his hut and squeaked for us. I wonder if he was scared. We took him out and held him, wrapped in a warm hat, sitting on my partner's lap. It was a huge bonding moment for us, gotta love a grown man who can sob openly over a tiny hamster. "Get him a pea," he said. "Hun, he's beyond being able to even know there's a pea, he can't eat it." "Just go get one!" So I got one. We buried him with it. Technically we weren't allowed, we lived in the city, but we sneakily went out to the park in the middle of the night and dug a little hole.

Hodag stands up and scratches on the cage when he sees me to get my attention. I used a clicker to teach him to follow a target stick and he gets really excited when he sees the stick because it's the only time I give him millet. He's so cute. He's my first dwarf hammie. Our others were all Syrians.
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next