Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Probiotics for mice?

2 posters

Go down

Probiotics for mice? Empty Probiotics for mice?

Post by BunnyMouse Mon 10 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Hi everyone Smile

I'm medicating my five 3-month old mouses with Baytril at the moment due to an URTI. We are 1 week into our Baytril routine and have another week to go, so far lots of improvement and i'm no longer noticing any sneezing or wet nose or anything.. i took them to my vet as soon as i noticed last week... it was actually only 'Snow' who was showing symptons, but my vet said it was best to medicate them all... as i also recently lost 'Kiki' not long after i adopted them.

So, apart from having to medicate 5 squirmy mouses twice a day everything is going well..except for the occassional soft smelly poops....

Could it be the Baytril causing them? i know probiotics do help, but which one's and where can i get them, what do you guys use..? i'm in the U.K.

I've heard that live yogurt doesn't carry the concentration of probiotics to be beneficial, and it has lactose which is bad for mice and can upset their tummies further.

I really can't bear to lose another so soon!
Thanks millions X

BunnyMouse

Sagittarius

Back to top Go down

Probiotics for mice? Empty Re: Probiotics for mice?

Post by CallaLily Mon 10 Oct 2016, 3:49 pm

It could definitely be from the antibiotics. As far as I know plain, unsweetened yogurt is perfectly safe and can be beneficial in times like this. You should also be able to find something like bene-bac at pet stores but I have no experience with this product.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by BunnyMouse Mon 10 Oct 2016, 5:44 pm

Okay, thanks so much CallaLily Smile

I'll try the unsweetened probiotic yogurt, and see how it goes.
We are getting there Two Thumbs

BunnyMouse

Sagittarius

Back to top Go down

Post by BunnyMouse Wed 12 Oct 2016, 1:47 pm

So, i've just ordered "Vetark Professional Pro-C Probioics" for small animals.
It's fully licensed for such use. It hasn't arrived yet and we havn't finished our antibiotics as yet..but it's got great reviews here. The Bene-Bac does too.

We know how antibiotics can really upset our systems, so i'm giving it a try.

No mousey likes the yogurt theory, i reckon they are just sick of me poking things at their faces at mo, bless them X

BunnyMouse

Sagittarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down