Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse Lead

4 posters

Go down

Mouse Lead Empty Mouse Lead

Post by theo1231231 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:06 pm

I was thinking about getting one of these for my mouse:
Mouse Lead S-l500
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Rat-Mouse-Harness-Adjustable-Hamster-Ferret-Squirrel-Lead-Leash-Bell-Finder-/141864452669

Its a lead for your mouse and it retracts (like a dog lead).

What do people think about using this for them to run around outside safely?

Is it safe at all for them to be outside? Im just wondering because their domesticated mice so maybe their not used to outside and could get ill?
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Mouse Lead Empty Re: Mouse Lead

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

I would NEVER use anything like that of on my mice. It seems dangerous and unnecessary. Mice can get out of anything, and if they can't get out of that, they could choke trying. Domestic mice don't need to go outside. You don't know what's out there. It could be just a little hot, cold, windy, etc and make them sick easily, not to mention parasites and illness that they are not resilient to (like you said) being domestic. Some people chose to take them outside, but it has to be in a controlled environment with very tame mice, right conditions and you cannot take your eye off them in a second. Besides getting some pretty pictures, there's not much of a point in taking that risk. I strongly suggest not using this outside or at all.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:14 pm

Okay thats what I thought initially, but good to know for sure, thank you Smile
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:31 pm

I really, really do not recommend it.

#1: It won't fit snugly enough to make it escape proof (mice are much smaller than most hamsters, and certainly more svelte). The mouse could wriggle out and escape. A domestic mouse getting lost outdoors wouldn't have a good survival rate.

#2: The mouse likely wouldn't enjoy it. Mice are somewhat agoraphobic - they don't feel safe in big open spaces, as they are more vulnerable to predators. Even in the wild mice tend to stay under cover, along the edges of walls, or near objects to stay more hidden - and they run. A leisurely walk out in the open is a nightmare for a mouse.

#3: You could step on your mouse.

#4: You can't control what your mouse will come into contact with. Cats, or other predators (which at the very least could make your mouse feel stressed). Droppings/urine of wild mice - which could spread diseases or parasites. Puddles or rain, which could make your mouse sick if he got wet. The cold. And that's just 3 things.

#5: Mice are fundamentally home-bodies. They do not like to be away from home, in environments that they are not used to, for long periods of time. It can be quite stressful for them.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I just don't think it's a good idea. I know you mean well, and are just trying to think of fun ways to interact with your mouse, so maybe consider other things like creating a "mouse playground" for him to explore, on a table top or in a playpen or bathtub Smile

EDIT: Oops, didn't see EverythingAnimals post. Sorry for repeating things!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:00 pm

I would also like to stress that no mouse should ever be put on a leash of any kind and certainly not be taken outside for a variety of reasons. A mouse would be terrified if was put on a leash and then put outside. There are so many dangers outside, poisonous materials/pesticides, hazardous items/broken glass/sharp items, and predators, not just cats & dogs, but also birds. Furthermore, mice have difficulty controlling their body temperatures and they could get sick.

And, that item is not designed for a mouse. Products from overseas are often mislabeled to include all rodents. It would not fit a mouse. And since we are on the topic, I seriously doubt that items safety for a hamster of any variety as well.

If you want to let your mouse run around, you can get one of those plastic hamster balls. Some mice enjoy those. But it needs to be used in the house, never outside.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down