Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiccuping and itching?

3 posters

Go down

Hiccuping and itching? Empty Hiccuping and itching?

Post by Snoot3 Fri 04 Dec 2020, 1:48 pm

I do have a vet appointment tomorrow but i am so worried right now about my babe. I got some new kaytee bedding last night and i didnt realize it had lavender in it. I took it all out and replaced it with new stuff immediately but the poor guy wont stop scratching his ears. He's also doing this weird thing when he eats and cleans himself where he will be hunched over eating like normal and then all of the sudden twitch forward like hes hiccuping. I thought he was just excited about his new food i bought but its been 18 hours and he is still doing it. Otherwise he is very active and playful.
Snoot3
Snoot3

Back to top Go down

Hiccuping and itching? Empty Re: Hiccuping and itching?

Post by chiroptera Fri 04 Dec 2020, 2:30 pm

Are you sure the 'hiccups' aren't little sneezes? The lavender might have upset his nose. Did you scrub out the cage after you took out the lavender scented bedding? If not, there might still be some lingering scent that we obviously can't smell, but it could still be very obvious for a mouse. I'd suggest wiping down with cage cleaner if you have it, or baby wipes / soap and water / whatever you use to clean the cage normally. Then give him some new bedding without lavender scents.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Snoot3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoot3 Fri 04 Dec 2020, 2:37 pm

I did replace all the bedding, even the stuff that wasnt lavender, but i didn't think about wiping down the tank. I will do that. I thought it was sneezing too but i dont hear any sound coming out when he does it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 04 Dec 2020, 2:49 pm

I feel for your little guy. I can stand among live lavender plants, bent over with my face in the flowers, surrounded by hundreds of busy bees, inhaling the honey-sweet floral heaven. But dried lavender, lavender oil, lavender-scented anything -- it sort of upends my tummy and sends a shudder through me.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Snoot3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoot3 Fri 04 Dec 2020, 2:57 pm

I know i can't use any cleaning products or strong scents without having an athsma attack. That bedding was strong. I dont know why they would make such a thing!

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 04 Dec 2020, 3:05 pm

I think wiping down the enclosure might help, but of course I can't guarantee anything. But it's worth a try! Also maybe check to make sure the new bedding isn't excessively dusty, because the dust might irritate his nose too. I think it's possible we just might not be able to always hear when they sneeze - they're very tiny after all, and the noise could be too high-pitched for us to hear it.

I also don't get why they make scented beddings, they're awful for any small pet's sensitive nose. Well... actually, I do, and it's because they think they make money off of it. Rolling Eyes They're putting the convenience of the owner over the safety of the animals, because they know they can appeal to people who don't do their research. It really sucks that they'd do that, but it's unfortunately very common in the pet trade.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down