Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very very scared mouse - I dont know what to do?

+7
CinnamonPearl
peas
Mouseketeers
MouseLover
CallaLily
Artistwolf
timez
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Very very scared mouse - I dont know what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Very very scared mouse - I dont know what to do?

Post by timez Wed 27 Apr 2016, 5:39 pm

whats a RUB? never heard of it.

And no I'm not sure hes a boy - just did my best with the sexing photos online - so not sure at all - i need to upload a photo to this post but as he keeps hiding all the time its going to be a problem getting it.

ive notice if he is already out of his igloo he will stare at me if im in the room and he sees me now (which is more than he used to do) - but if i move even slightly (no matter how slow motion) he runs and hides again and doesnt come out for a long time - sometimes until ive gone to bed.

just wish i could show him somehow that im not going to hurt him

Timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Very very scared mouse - I dont know what to do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Very very scared mouse - I dont know what to do?

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 27 Apr 2016, 6:54 pm

Maybe you could do something I did with my girl Little Cow when I first got her. The second day I had her, she suddenly became extremely nervous and would do a lot of the things your boy is doing now, except she would come back out faster. Perhaps you could try it.

What I did was open the tank and then leave her alone. She ran and hid, of course, but I just left it open. I waited as long as it took for her to come back out, and once she did and was acting normally, I put my hand at the top of the tank, balancing my wrist on the tank's edge. She ran and hid, and I didn't move. I waited, not moving, until she finally came back out and was acting normal. I waited a little bit, and then I moved my hand slightly more into the tank. Once she ran and hid, I waited until she came back out and seemed calm, paused for a couple of minutes, and then moved in closer. I kept repeating this, waiting as long as was necessary for her to feel comfortable, until I reached the cage floor. I waited until she would come to check out my hand, and once she felt comfortable enough to sit on my hand (not running back and forth across it), I pulled her out and let her run around on the desk. Long story short, she's been her outgoing, social, adorable, annoying self ever since.

This is a method that I modified off of methods of taming parrots. I've never had to use it again, so I can't say how well it works repeatedly and with different mice, but it might just work. You might have to wait a very long time between movements, but if you're dedicated, I think you should give it a try. It might just work. Just make sure you find yourself a comfortable position next to his tank and bring a book or a phone or something, because it gets boring fast. I'm not sure how long it'll take for you. It may have just worked instantly on Little Cow because she turned out to be a social moth (I refuse to call her a butterfly- she doesn't deserve such compliments), but I can say that it worked, and it worked well. Hopefully it'll help your boy too.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:28 am

hmm thats actually not the first time ive heard of the "parot" method - but the first time ive read such a detailed description step by step.

i only have 2 worries with that though - mainly because of his personality traits so far...

1) since its a cage with a side door - I may well have to watch the cage as if i read a book etc and he comes out the igloo - i imagine the next step would be - escape haha - so if my eyes were not on the cage then he may do a runner?

2) he has been known many times now to jump from the bath edge to the floor - as he does that im worried he will even jump off a desk if i cant stop him in time - and im really worried he will hurt himself.

any ideas how to solve these? other that that though - id love to give anything a try that may work.

Thank you.

Timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 4:50 am

Peanut is 100% a GIRL!

I know this because when i went to clean out her cage today I found BABIES in the igloo and it was packed to the brim with bedding!

Help!!! lol

Timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:52 am

Oh my!  Here are a couple articles that may help.

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t43-housing-for-mothers-with-babies
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t41-caring-for-babies-birth-through-weaning

I've never had baby mice though, so I'm sure someone who has had the experience will chime in with more advice soon. Good luck.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:03 am

funny enough i read those - how long do i have to move them all into a cageless home (with mum) and now i know she is a female i will have to get her another girl or 2 (to make 3 - or will that still work if i leave the female babies with her) - also i cant look to see how many there are until after 3 days right - plus i wanted to check they are all alive etc - but not a good idea yet?

Timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:10 am

Awesome!  I don't know the answers to those questions but I'm sure someone who does will be along soon. Smile

Edit: Chances are she'll have daughters that you can keep with her, so hold off on picking up any more girls.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:19 am

cant beleve im now a mouse daddy haha

also dont know if i can clean the cage - its a week and 2 days now since it has last been cleaned - as i was going to do it once a week but was a day late - went to do it today and found the baby(s) lol

and it says dont disturb them - but am i still able to talk to her and let her see me?

timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm

I dropped a couple of links for you on the other thread you made, but it looks like Calla beat me to it. I did notice that you're using a wire cage though. You need to move the mom and her babies to a 10gal tank ASAP. In a wire cage, the babies can wiggle their way out through the bars no problem, and the mom might even push them out. It's not a very safe environment for children. Go out and get a 10gal tank when you have a second.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

So moving them today even?
Won't it disturb her?

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:51 pm

I don't think I'd move them yet. You're not even supposed  to clean until two weeks, and the babies won't be moving around until after their eyes open... On a couple TFM threads, it was said to move them into tanks by three weeks. On others it said two weeks.

Edit: The Care thread says to clean the nursery at one week. I could've sworn it was two! Hmm.

Last edited by abeona on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:54 pm

Don't move them today. She's already scared enough. If she feels threatened, she might even eat the babies. I'd give her some space if I were you. Like Abeona said, I would wait at least until the eyes are open. If there is a concern about the babies getting through the bars, you could always put up cardboard around the bars to keep everyone inside.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:02 pm

Oh, sorry! I didn't know it wasn't safe to move them yet. You could also put mesh around the bars to make it safer, and then you can still see inside. Just be on the watch for any babies who might accidentally fall out.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:49 pm

i intend to get very very fine mesh with gaps smaller than a pinkie even so hopefully that will stop it - the mesh is a great idea - so is cardboard - but the way the cage is - the bars are the way air gets in also.

and ok i wont move them today - i have been just been sitting here with her (as where her cage is she can constantlly see me - thats how i had the set up before - and i try to open the cage as little as possible (only for food etc)

and talking gently to her even though i cant see her (shes in the nest a lot as predicted on the guides)

I feel a lot less paniced about it all now that i have a plan of action Smile

and now its time to cook her her scrambled eggs for tonight haha Smile

your all really helpful and friendly here i must say - the mice of the world are lucky to have you all Smile

timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 28 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm

I just saw that Brynne posted a reply to your other thread regarding this. She has more experience with babies than I do, so please check out her advice on when to move the babies.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next