Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good US Lab Block?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Good US Lab Block? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good US Lab Block?

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:04 am

Do you know where I can buy it? I checked Amazon, but the shipping would apparently take a month.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:10 am

Hhmm. I hadn't looked any further into the Amazon one, other than the price plus shipping. I was going to see how it all worked out today. I'm curious if shipping goes up if you order more than one bag?  I've been ordering mine in from viovet. You can fit up to 3 bags in the box. Shipping is $12.53 whether you order one bag or three. Each bag costs $3.32. I was hoping to be able to save on shipping if there's still bags up on amazon next time I'm out. I'm pretty well stocked up now.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:12 am

Hm, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to find it from a US source though.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:24 am

Just wanted to chip in to say that Supreme Selective Mouse Food is recommended by small animal vets over here - Colin absolutely loves it, its the first thing to be eaten normally (sometimes even before his treats!)

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:46 am

Yes, my girls love it too and usually have it all gobbled up before they're finished with the grains/seeds.

Last edited by CallaLily on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:57 am

I asked about Science Selective rat food on a website in England because they don't seem to have the itching and skin problems that we do here. So I asked if the rat food was OK for mice and here was the reply: "Yep and it's just the right size for mice (the science selective for mice is larger, you'd think it would be the other way around - it's very bizarre!!"

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:08 am

Do you think the rat food would be okay? Because that's available on Amazon prime. Are the ingredients 100% the same? And what's the exact difference?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:19 pm

I posted a picture of the mouse ingredients and GA above to compare to what Essentiallysue posted about the bag of their rat food that they have.

The ingredients are different. Mouse has hazelnuts, rat has black currents and the ingredients are also in slightly different order (they're listed in order by amount).  The crude protein, fat, fiber % are all different. There's different amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamins added. I'm sure the rat is perfectly safe, it's just not formulated for a mouse so I'm not sure if it'll complete their diet if that's what you're worried about.

It is weird that the rat pellets are smaller but the mouse ones really aren't so big a mouse couldn't handle them and they break up easily. I break mine in 2-3 pieces.

I think in the end it just comes down to what you're looking for. If it's just to add in variety/supplement the rat would probably work just fine. And I know it's a pain that the mouse isn't as easy to get your hands on. I'm hoping that'll change soon! The mouse is my choice because (and I know most here look down on this) I started making my own grain/seed mix and wanted to add a complete mouse block to it just to be sure they were getting everything they need.

Last edited by CallaLily on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:38 pm

Okay, well so long as the rat CP is safe, I'll go with that. I just wanna make Henry's base diet complete because I'm bad with the fresh foods. Thank you everyone! I'll order as soon as I get some money. ^.^

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

CallaLily wrote:Pet Mountain lists different % too though but I'd guess the company's actual site is probably more accurate.

I stumbled across some info that probably explains the difference in the % listed for the rat food on Supreme's site and the bag made for sale in the U.S.

In Europe pet food labeling laws are different.  The % listed on their packaging (14%) indicates a "typical" amount your pet would get with each serving.  Could actually be a little more or a little less, depending on the batch. In the U.S. the % listed have to be a guaranteed amount. So in each serving of this rat food, your pet is getting a minimum of 12% crude protein.  It could actually be a little more, but you're guaranteed it's no less.

At least that's my understanding.

So same exact food, different labeling laws.  I wonder what a bag of their mouse food intended for U.S. sale would look like. Thinking

Anyway, thought that was an interesting bit of info so wanted to share. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2