Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for food suggestions

2 posters

Go down

Looking for food suggestions Empty Looking for food suggestions

Post by mouseman Fri 18 Nov 2016, 5:05 pm

So I'm looking around at foods in hopes of finding a few that would be suitable. If anyone can help me out by reminding me of the nutritional needs of a good food, suggesting one, or checking out the one im currently looking at and telling me what you think it would be appreciated. Here's the one i'm looking at right now: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bird/bird-food-and-treats/higgins-vita-seed-parakeet-food#
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Looking for food suggestions Empty Re: Looking for food suggestions

Post by CallaLily Fri 18 Nov 2016, 6:34 pm

Have you seen this post? https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-diet

Protein is a bit low on the food you linked.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:38 pm

CallaLily wrote:Have you seen this post? https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-diet

Protein is a bit low on the food you linked.

i hadnt seen that, thanks for sending m in the right direction
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Mon 26 Dec 2016, 7:51 am

I'm looking to add another food option to my list, how does this one look? http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/small-animal-food-treats/rat-and-mouse-food-and-treats/supreme-pet-food-reggie-rat-food
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 26 Dec 2016, 11:09 am

Crude protein is ok. Fat is a bit low. Fiber is good. (recommended for the average pet shop mouse: 12-14% crude protein, 5-8% crude fat, and under 10% crude fiber). There's not much variety - wheat, corn, oats, alfalfa pellets (that they probably won't eat), peas, beans. And artificial coloring, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Ingredients
Ground Wheat, Toasted Wheat, Corn, Flaked Corn, Whole Oats, Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Flaked Field Peas, Flaked Beans, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Straw Pellets, Oat Middlings, Soybean Oil, Wheat Middlings, Limestone, Linseed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Dicalcium Pantothenate, Fd&C Red 40, Nicotinic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Source Of Vitamin K), Biotin, Fd&C Yellow 6, Fd&C Yellow 5, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Selenium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source Of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Fd&C Blue 1, Cobalt Sulfate, Cholecalciferol (Source Of Vitamin D3), Calcium Iodate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 12.5%, crude fat (min.) 3%, crude fiber (min.) 6%, crude fiber (max.) 8%, moisture (max.) 10%, calcium (min.) 0.3%, calcium (max.)

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Mon 26 Dec 2016, 12:22 pm

I missed that the fat content was low, it's hard to find anything marketed for small pets with acceptable requirements. The food they were feeding at the shop I got him from had a 20% protein count and he wouldn't touch the stuff. I'm sort of just looking for something acceptable to add variety and that i can possibly even use for scatter feeding, he's on a parakeet food right now and he seems to really enjoy it.
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 26 Dec 2016, 12:40 pm

If you're looking to add variety that food isn't really adding much.  I'm guessing maybe the peas and beans are the only things that aren't found in the parakeet food that you're already feeding?  Maybe the alfalfa blocks too, but like I said most mice won't even eat them.   Brown's Tropical Carnival has much more variety, but I know many are avoiding that food due to some finding mold in the bags they bought.  

Since you're just looking to add variety and something to scatterfeed with, have you thought about picking up some various grains from the grocery store?  Oats, wheat, rye, millet, spelt, barley, hemp seed, flax seed, chia, walnuts, triticale, buckwheat, quinoa, wild or brown rice, pumpkin seeds, etc. Might be easier to just buy a few things that may not be in the staple food you're feeding than to look for a bag of commercial stuff with different things.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Mon 26 Dec 2016, 12:56 pm

He loves oats, i might just make a mix of larger items he can have and scatter that, its not a bad idea. the reason i don't scatter what he has already is i worry it will all fall to the bottom and i'll just end up dumping a tank full of seed when i clean his cage
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 26 Dec 2016, 2:00 pm

I get it. I like using a dish for the main mix too. I feel like I can get a better idea of how much they're eating that way. But I do scatter extras and treats around the cage.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down