Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Food Suggestions?

3 posters

Go down

Any Food Suggestions? Empty Any Food Suggestions?

Post by Goldehwolfeh Sat 26 Nov 2016, 4:47 pm

I feel like switching out the food given to my mice (Since it does contain sunflower seeds and I would like to avoid it). At first, I didn't have much thought about it until even after ten days of medication corn was receiving she was still sneezing.
(Could be the bedding to, but I am making a DIY cage and using appropriate carpet)

Right now I have SmallWorld Complete rat & mouse feed, on the back it does give a "Guaranteed Analysis" of Crude, Calcium and other proteins in percentages. The food is a wholesome mixture of grains and seeds. Which I don't think I ran to the store and bought this I probably asked my dad to buy some mouse food. (He doesn't know much about mice XD)

Do you guys suggest any appropriate food I should be giving them?

Little Angels- Kitty (Doe), Kara (Doe), Corn (Doe) Angel
Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Any Food Suggestions? Empty Re: Any Food Suggestions?

Post by Illumimoe666 Sat 26 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

I recommend throwing oats in there Smile It's important for mice to eat. As well as some fresh veggies and fruit~

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 26 Nov 2016, 7:22 pm

There isn't really one good U.S. mouse food out there. Most are too high in crude protein and full of junk ingredients. The most commonly recommended foods on this forum are linked here: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-diet-and-nutrition

It also goes a little into what to look for in a food and other things you can supplement their diet with, like fresh foods.  I like to also pay attention to the whole variety in a food as well as what those first few ingredients are, because those will make up the bulk of the mix. The further down the ingredient list, the less will be in it.

I did a quick search and found the info on the food you mentioned.
Ingredients: Corn, Milo, Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Sunflower Seeds, Soybean Meal, Oats, Peanuts, Peas, Distillers Dried Grains With Solubles, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Sulfur, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Mendione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei, Dried Lactobacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein Min.: 16.00%, Crude Fat Min: 7.00%, Crude Fiber Max: 8.00%, Moisture Max: 12.00%, Calcium Min.: 0.50%, Calcium Max.: 1.00%, Phosphorus Min.: 0.30%, Sodium Max.: 0.30%, Vitamin A Min.: 2,500 Iu/Lb, Vitamin D Min.: 500 Iu/Lb, Vitamin E Min.: 10 Iu/Lb.

Looks to be a little too high in crude protein.  12-14% is what's generally recommended for mice from untracked lines.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:21 pm

CallaLily wrote:There isn't really one good U.S. mouse food out there. Most are too high in crude protein and full of junk ingredients. The most commonly recommended foods on this forum are linked here: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-diet-and-nutrition

It also goes a little into what to look for in a food and other things you can supplement their diet with, like fresh foods.  I like to also pay attention to the whole variety in a food as well as what those first few ingredients are, because those will make up the bulk of the mix. The further down the ingredient list, the less will be in it.

I did a quick search and found the info on the food you mentioned.
Ingredients: Corn, Milo, Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Sunflower Seeds, Soybean Meal, Oats, Peanuts, Peas, Distillers Dried Grains With Solubles, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Sulfur, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Mendione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei, Dried Lactobacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein Min.: 16.00%, Crude Fat Min: 7.00%, Crude Fiber Max: 8.00%, Moisture Max: 12.00%, Calcium Min.: 0.50%, Calcium Max.: 1.00%, Phosphorus Min.: 0.30%, Sodium Max.: 0.30%, Vitamin A Min.: 2,500 Iu/Lb, Vitamin D Min.: 500 Iu/Lb, Vitamin E Min.: 10 Iu/Lb.

Looks to be a little too high in crude protein.  12-14% is what's generally recommended for mice from untracked lines.
Dang, Then would it also be reasonable to switch out the food with something not so high with crude proteins?

Little Angels- Kitty (Doe), Kara (Doe), Corn (Doe) Angel
Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 27 Nov 2016, 7:58 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

There's a couple commercial food suggestions in that link I posted above. Both have suitable crude protein, fat, and fiber levels.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down