Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with elderly mouse?

+7
Windmilla
Teramis
Brynne
scaredymouse
MouseLover
Peachy
essentiallysue
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What to do with elderly mouse? Empty What to do with elderly mouse?

Post by essentiallysue Sat 30 Apr 2016, 9:32 am

I have an elderly mouse, with one eye, who has outlived three other mice and is still going strong. However, I put her with one little mouse from the group of four so she would have company. But the mouse is too active and overpowers her. They got along, but this morning, I found her skin on her back a bit bruised, as if she had been groomed too hard. I put the little mouse back with her sisters, and now my old mouse, Lucy, is alone.
I know I cannot get an elderly mouse anywhere. Will she be all right alone? She does come out for her love and attention several times a day, but we humans aren't mouse.
Any suggestions?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

What to do with elderly mouse? Empty Re: What to do with elderly mouse?

Post by Peachy Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

Maybe you could try two of the girls with Lucy? I was thinking that way, the younger one will have an activity partner but the older one will still have a couple friends to enjoy.

I let my first group of girls end in 2014. It was a group that had been going for over three years, and because there were no "original" girls left I was taking a (very short) break. The last girl was alone for a few months before she passed, but we just did all we could to make sure she could enjoy herself. Low hanging hammocks, lots of talking and playing, good food.

I've only had to do that once though. Maybe someone else will have more helpful suggestions.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:55 am

I like abeona's idea of introducing two, sounds like it might work?

I had an old girl who had to spend her last month or two alone, because she had chronic respiratory issues, and I didn't want to risk introducing that to new mice. She got lots of treats and spent lots of time hanging out with me. She seemed happy. I also had a very very old girl, living happily with very young mice. I think friends are preferable, but if it's not an option for her in her old age, you just have to do your best to keep her happy. Also, if she's very old with no one to snuggle up with, make sure her cage/tank is somewhere nice and warm!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:54 pm

I thought of giving her two of them, but what about the grooming? Will they groom right through her skin? I even put all 5 of them together one night to see how they would do. The 4 young ones were so happy they just jumped right over her and she layed very still. She was bombarded with sniffing, but she didn't seem to mind. I just thought it was overwhelming and just left one with her. Maybe I will put the 5 together again and see which 2 seem more attracted to her. Thanks for your replies.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 30 Apr 2016, 1:15 pm

I'd think having two girls to groom would make it easier, because the attention would be split up instead of focused on only one. I've never had grooming issues so I could be way off, but it makes sense to me. You could always try it, and if it doesn't work out then come up with a new plan.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 02 May 2016, 12:46 am

Sweet little grandma mouse... I think it would be best to either add two or all of them, just one mouse would be too intense. I have two elderly mice at the moment and it just warms my heart to see all the three kiddos snuggled up with them. Sometimes they play a little rough (in my opinion) with my old ladies but they don't seem to really mind. And having three young mice in there, they can all keep each other busy while my old ladies are sleeping.

I understand what you mean though, I wish the young'uns would be more gentle but I think all the snuggles make up for it.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Mon 02 May 2016, 6:14 am

Well, each day (and night) I gave her one or two mice until she had had all four of them in her cage. Then, last night I cleaned out the big cage and put her in and all four of the young'ins. It was a frolic all night! I am sitting here waiting to see if my old mouse will come out for breakfast, and be in one piece! Needless to say, I didn't sleep much last night. Jumping up every time I heard a loud noise in there. I put in twice as many food dishes, and I wait..........

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 02 May 2016, 6:18 am

When I've had young'uns living with older ladies, I think the old girls liked it. Keeps 'em young Wink Laughing

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Mon 02 May 2016, 4:47 pm

I hope it went well!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Mon 02 May 2016, 8:59 pm

It looks like it's working. My old Lucy slept with the whole bunch all day. I was worried that she wouldn't get enough to eat, as she usually ate off and on all day. But she did come out once this evening to have a bite to eat. She will probably stay hidden while they all frolic all over the place tonight, just so she gets a chance to eat. She is so thin. I have a lot of houses where she can hide away while they are rambunchious. I have another cage nearby just in case things don't go well. And....I probably won't sleep tonight either. LOL

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 02 May 2016, 9:07 pm

I'm glad she's getting some snuggles ❤

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Tue 03 May 2016, 12:51 am

When I have an elderly mouse, and the others are young (and voracious eaters), I usually take the old one out for "snack time" - i.e. I put her in a separate cage for a while, full of fun treats that I know she likes, and leave her there to graze for a while. I usually do that when I see her up and out, not in the middle of her sleep cycle. And then too I combine that with play time, and put snacks in her sock-pouch or pockets of my shirt (whatever she's used to), so she can have a nibble during our together-time. It's not like giving a full meal, but if I put a treat like cooked egg yolk in the snack cage, that's very nutritious and I know she's getting all of it (not having to compete with other hungry mouths).

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Tue 03 May 2016, 6:20 am

What a great idea! She was up as I read this so I did that and she is eating all by herself. She'll go back in in a few minutes.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Wed 04 May 2016, 4:01 pm

Sadly, she passed away during the night last night. I saw that she was nearing the end and held her for a long time while she still knew us, and then wrapped her in fleece cloth and let her pass on her own speed. She didn't show any signs of the others hurting her, so I guess it was just her time.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 04 May 2016, 4:18 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss Sad It sounds like she had a good life, and spent her last days in good company, and loved by her human. Rest in peace Lucy.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next