Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarah looks scruffy

4 posters

Go down

Sarah looks scruffy Empty Sarah looks scruffy

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:17 pm

I've been noticing lately that Sarah's coat looks scruffier than usual. It's not nice, shiny and slicked back like it normally is. However, she doesn't really seem sick. She appears to be grooming herself normally, she eats and drinks plenty, and she's still full of energy. Still, I can't help but worry.

Any thoughts?

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Sarah looks scruffy Empty Re: Sarah looks scruffy

Post by Peachy Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:23 pm

How old is she? Has she been treated for mites?
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:31 pm

Peachy wrote:How old is she? Has she been treated for mites?
Not quite sure on her age, I got her in early June, and she was anywhere from one to six months old then. And yes, she's been treated for mites, as have Selina and Sally.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 08 Dec 2016, 6:41 am

Maybe it's an allergy? Like a bedding allergy? Try switching them onto shredded newspaper and see how she does. Also, do you pick things like peanuts and sunflower seeds out of your base mix?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 08 Dec 2016, 7:09 am

What are you feeding (including any extras or fresh foods)?  What is the crude protein, fat, fiber of her base diet?  Is she scratching a lot?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 08 Dec 2016, 9:47 am

If you rule out parasites, allergies, and food problems (getting too much or too little of anything), a couple other things you could consider would be stress and age. Since pet store mice aren't bred for health or longetivity, some mice just start to get old between 12-16 months.

If you know a savvy vet, maybe he could offer other ideas also.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Thu 08 Dec 2016, 1:56 pm

My mice were being fed Sunseed mouse mix until very recently, when I switched them over to Sunseed Vita parakeet mix.

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 08 Dec 2016, 2:08 pm

Can you remind me what the crude protein, fat, and fiber is in that mix? I'm wondering if she'd benefit from some more fresh proteins like plain cooked eggs, chicken, or sometimes salmon. Or maybe a small pinch of flax or hemp seeds every day or some walnuts.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 08 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm

I know that Sunseed vita parakeet is safe in crude protein, if that helps!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 08 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

If I'm remembering right, it is at the lower end on fat though.  Do you add anything else in?  I would try adding in a little of either flax seed, hemp seed, or walnut in daily.  If you do fresh foods, offer a tiny bit of plain cooked salmon once in a while if you can, or sardines.

Just what I would try, if it were my mouse. Someone else may have other suggestions.

Edit to add that if that doesn't seem to help, and you've ruled out mites or allergy, it could just be age related like Peachy said.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down