Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First thing to do in case of URI?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First thing to do in case of URI? Empty First thing to do in case of URI?

Post by Plazmotech Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm

Hi. Just discovered my babies have URI's. I heard them sneezing. After picking them up, I put them to my ear and heard a rattling noise. I hadn't heard it before, but I heard it today. I got them from pet smart (those :censored: :censored:, never getting my money again). I think I'm going to take them to the Grand Animal Hospital this weekend. I have a few questions.

Whats the first thing I should do? Is there any way I can reduce their pain? Any other symptoms I should check for?

And about pricing -- I'm pretty sure they both have it. I mean they've been together since I got them at pet smart, and they're both sneezing. I only heard the rattling in one, but that's cause I haven't picked up the other. Should I have them both "checked out"? I was really hoping to save money by just getting it verified on one of my mice, then I know the other one has it too. I could use the medication for both of them. Or is that a terrible idea and I'm missing something? If I have to I definitely will pay for both of their bills I was just really hoping to avoid it because I've already spent well over $100 on them this week.

I'm extremely sad. I just got them a week ago and to already have health issues is just very sad. Will they suffer for the rest of their lives? I've heard they will always be in pain after a URI. Is it serious or something easily treatable?

Thanks.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

First thing to do in case of URI? Empty Re: First thing to do in case of URI?

Post by Plazmotech Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm

And is there anything I can do about PetSmart? I was considering going there and expressing my disappointment in hope of some sort of rebate for my vet bills.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 20 Jan 2017, 5:37 am

Pet smart does have a 30 day health guarantee and will provide free vet care for you. Some members of our forum have used it. But I'd advise you to beware. Petsmart is known for taking your animals to their vet and euthanizing them without permission. So you can get free vet care, but you'll have no idea what's being done, and they may kill your animals in hope of just giving you others cause "they're just mice who cares." I would honestly never use it myself.

Until you can get to a vet, just keep them calm and comfy. And yes, bring both mice. The vet needs to weigh them both to prescribe the dosage for each.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by VoidThoughts Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

If you want guaranteed health care for your mice you need to go to a vet yourself, as a company petsmart is there to make money and if putting down your mouse and giving you a new one is less expensive than treating it they'll euthanize them in a heartbeat without warning you.

Though if you've only had them a short time and would prefer mice with less of a chance of long term health problems (which can sometimes cost quite a bit of money to take care of), you should be able to ask to have them switched with healthier mice in the store.

As it is, I would suggest finding a local vet that knows how to handle small pets and take your mice in for a check up. It's best to have them both brought in so that you can get the proper amount of medicine for each of your mice. Plus if one of them is sicker than the other there's a chance that the vet might tell you to use a lower dosage on the less sick one.

I hope your mice feel better soon. Being sick stinks no matter what species you are. :c

VoidThoughts

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:51 am

I don't think switching them would do anything. URIs are contagious, so it's likely every mouse at the store has one, and they're easily treatable, so it's not like it will be any long term medical care. Besides, if someone wants to avoid having to take care of long term health problems, then choosing to keep mice was a mistake.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

Of course I don't want to get new ones. It may have only been a week but I'm already attached to both. I will take them both to the vet.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

Haha, I can relate to that. Once a mouse is mine, she's mine!!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 20 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

Made an appointment at Aviary and Exotic Animal Hospital. Total cost $120 + whatever Baytril costs. Thanks a lot, PetSmart.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:55 pm

$120? :O That's absurd! My exotics vet only charges half that much. But you could get a really good vet by taking them to an exotics hospital specifically. It could well be worth it!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:50 am

CinnamonPearl wrote:$120? :O That's absurd! My exotics vet only charges half that much. But you could get a really good vet by taking them to an exotics hospital specifically. It could well be worth it!

This guy, Dr. Exotic is apparently extremely well known in the exotic vet community. He has a magazine article that I read talking about his achievements over the past 30 years. Apparently the guy made a major breakthrough in Rabbit dentistry and also in turtle surgery. Plus he defined a new rabbit disease, and more. Crazy :censored:. But yeah, incredibly expensive. $62 for the first mouse, and $58 for the second.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:31 am

Oh so they charge for both! That's more understandable. My hospital is supposed to do that but my vet always pulls a few strings for me. In fact, I once had to see their other vet because she was out and it was an emergency, and when they charged me for two mice I actually called and complained. O////O Very embarrassing.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:21 pm

Update! Dr Exotic only charged for one mouse Smile total was $86. The baytril was $16, but he only prescribed .05ml twice daily.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:22 pm

Score! Very Happy Don't worry, .05mL is all a mouse needs.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by VoidThoughts Sun 22 Jan 2017, 12:09 am

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting your little micey friends treated. Honestly I couldn't imagine giving up a mouse that I've adopted even if I haven't had them that long. And it's awesome that the vet is just charging you for one examination, its always stressful enough when a pet gets sick and you have to worry about vet bills on top of it. Hopefully with the medicine they'll be feeling better in no time.

Also a side note to cinnamonpearl, I'm aware URIs are treatable but I've heard before if the mice are young it can cause chronic URIs. Like how if a kid or teen gets bronchitis they can get chronic bronchitis Though you're probably right and its completely irrelevant in this case- I misread the endearment of "my babies" to mean that plazmotech had very young mice. Embarassed

VoidThoughts

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Sun 22 Jan 2017, 2:17 am

I don't know if I mentioned it already, but according to pet smart they are around 5 months old, though the lady seemed really unsure.

P.S. Giving mice oral medication is very hard. Took me half an hour and I got hit once. 12 more administrations to go!

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next