Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice & Powder Down Birds

3 posters

Go down

Mice & Powder Down Birds Empty Mice & Powder Down Birds

Post by River Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:29 pm

I've been a bit inactive lately - oops. The girls are still going strong and doing lovely! Hopefully I'll become more active nowadays. Smile

Now, I do have a question about mice and powder down birds. Our parakeets have passed on due to old age, and we've quite missed their antics. Since we have the proper time, space, and money for a bird, we've decided to take in a cockatiel. This is lovely, of course; it's always nice to give a needy bird a good home. However, cockatiels are powder down birds. This means they release a fine white layer of dander or 'dust', in quite copious amounts for such a small bird!
My only concern with this is that the dust might be a risk to Maier & Graham's sensitive lungs. For this reason, among others, the birds cage is located a few rooms away from the mouse tank. However the bird needs out of cage time, as most parrots do, and I'm wondering if it'd be able to have out-of-cage time in the same room we keep the mouse tank in. Would the dust be any hazard at all to the mice?
Thanks all,

Last edited by River on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : the capitalization was ugly and i was offended)

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Mice & Powder Down Birds Empty Re: Mice & Powder Down Birds

Post by Peachy Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:48 pm

Haha, your reason for editing made me giggle.

I searched the old forum just for fun but didn't find anything. I had a cockatiel years ago but don't remember any dust. Scratch My first thought would be that it wouldn't be a big deal if it's not the bird's main space... and if the mice do suddenly seem bothered you'd be able to remedy it? But I'll be interested to see other answers. Maybe @CinnamonPearl would have something useful to add.

Last edited by Peachy on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

Neat info. I didn't know that. Cool

I would think if it wasn't the bird's main living area, and you kept up on cleaning it would probably be ok. Maybe invest in an air purifier in the mouse room?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 28 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

Aha.

Yeah, not all cockatiels are extremely dusty - it's hardly noticeable with some. However, they do tend to be, so I'm gonna stay on the safe side till we get to know the little guy better. Smile

I'm thinking it'd work out fine too. I've been looking into an air filter anyways, so it seems like a good investment!

Thank you.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down