Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel help

3 posters

Go down

Wheel help Empty Wheel help

Post by PastelMouse Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:54 pm

(Edited post)

Decided to get a mesh wheel, and I have a lot of follow up questions!

1. Are they noisy? Most people said you can fix noise with oil, what kind do you use?
2. Do they have to be 8" or can they be a little smaller?

I found these wheels, any recommendations?

(8") http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/supplies/toys-and-habitat-accessories/kaytee-run-around-exercise-wheel-14614.html

(6.75") http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/you-and-me-hamster-wheel-675#

(5") http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/you-and-me-hamster-wheel-5

Last edited by PastelMouse on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PastelMouse
PastelMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Wheel help Empty Re: Wheel help

Post by Peachy Sat 08 Apr 2017, 6:16 pm

Ideal sizes (for mesh wheels) are usually said to be between 6.5 and 8 inches... the more room to spread out and run naturally, the better. Small wheels can cause/exasperate wheel tail, where they flip their tail over their backs, which can cause painful spine troubles down the road.

Flying saucers don't have the same concerns because there's no restrictions preventing them from running normally/as they would off of a wheel. So either the 6.5 or 7 inch one would be fine.

If you have the space, consider offering both wheels... I introduced a mesh wheel to a mouse who had only ever run on a saucer, and she had the most fun! Some mice have clear preferences and others will run on whichever is closest. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Sat 08 Apr 2017, 6:22 pm

Peachy wrote:Ideal sizes (for mesh wheels) are usually said to be between 6.5 and 8 inches... the more room to spread out and run naturally, the better. Small wheels can cause/exasperate wheel tail, where they flip their tail over their backs, which can cause painful spine troubles down the road.

Flying saucers don't have the same concerns because there's no restrictions preventing them from running normally/as they would off of a wheel. So the 6 inch one would be fine.

Thanks for the info, you've been super helpful! I think I'll get a 8" mesh. As a hamster owner getting mesh feels weird to me...
PastelMouse
PastelMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 08 Apr 2017, 11:07 pm

As a fellow hamster mom, I can relate to the concerns about mesh wheels! But they are totally safe for mice.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Sat 08 Apr 2017, 11:48 pm

scaredymouse wrote:As a fellow hamster mom, I can relate to the concerns about mesh wheels!  But they are totally safe for mice.

Ya, it's hard to get over it when "mesh wheels = bad" has been implanted in my brain. It's nice that mice can use them though, so much cheaper!

Do you know if a 6" or 6.75" mesh wheel is ok? I want to save cage room by getting a 6 instead of 8 inch.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:43 am

As a fellow hamster mom, I can relate to the concerns about mesh wheels! But they are totally safe for mice.

I have 8" wheels in with all my mice, even in 10g tanks. A 6" is acceptable... But an 8" is better. After all, running is basically the only thing they do for fun, so I always try to get the biggest and best. I think a mouse would rather have a bigger wheel.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Wed 12 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Follow up questions, yay!

If I get a cage topper, and attach the mesh wheel by the provided hooks, does it make a lot of noise?

Also on craigslist this person had a litter of really small babies I was interested it. I love the look of tiny mice, if I do get one would they be better with a 6.5" wheel or a 8" one? Can wheels be too big?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:14 am

An 8" wheel is fine with small mice. After my litter was 6 weeks old, I gave them an 8" mesh wheel and they loved it. Also, they might not stay small! I once got a 13g baby from the feeder tank. She was so teensy. She's now 65 grams. She's ginormous.

And I've never hung a wheel, so I can't help you on that one.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:58 am

I don't use a topper, but I have two wheels hanging in my girls' Mickey cage and they aren't any noisier than usual... if I remember to keep them oiled, I don't hear them at all!

I hope you like the topper. Just a warning, I know a lot of us find that toppers are more trouble than they're worth... heavy, hard to clean, they make it very hard to reach to the floor and get to your mice, and taking them off and putting them back on can be a pain in the butt. There's also the possibility that your mice just won't like it... some find it scary to climb, some just prefer the comfort of the ground floor. Of course you won't know until you give it a go, but I thought I'd say something just in case! Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down