Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing a play area

3 posters

Go down

Sharing a play area Empty Sharing a play area

Post by peas Thu 19 May 2016, 12:21 am

So my 3 mice are all in their own tanks as most of you know. Life is good, they are settled in and re-introductions have failed yet again so that's that.

The question i have, is does it matter if they share a play area? I have a big carboard box that is their play area and their holding cell for when i have to clean their tanks. They don't seem to mind sharing it one after another, i put their own wheels in with them so they have something that has their scent but there is the other meecers scent in the box. I noticed they don't seem to mind, they sort of do a quick lap to check and see if there are any other mice in the box and then get to running or climbing. They don't seem to be too hung up on the other scents.

Does it matter if they don't seem to mind? If one of them has a URI is it possible to spread it? Is it safe to share a play area if they are all healthy?

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Sharing a play area Empty Re: Sharing a play area

Post by scaredymouse Fri 20 May 2016, 6:06 am

I share play areas with my different critters. They already smell each other in the house and on me sometimes. And I like think of it like the great outdoors... they would cross paths with other animals all the time. However, if one were sick, I would not share the same play area.

Also, I wouldn't use cardboard. When they put their mind to it, they can chew out of that so fast.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Fri 20 May 2016, 3:32 pm

Yes, taking turns is fine.  If you are consistent, they will get used to it.

I've done both methods with my mice- When I had 7 lone bucks PLUS some does, they all used one playground in turns because setting up, breaking down and storing 9 sets of toys would have been ridiculous.

Currently, I have 3 to 4 households of mice at a time, so having 3 to 4 bags of toys is not too much work for me.
Brynne
Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down