Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevue Hendryx Critter Animal Cage

+2
scaredymouse
SoBrill
6 posters

Go down

Prevue Hendryx Critter Animal Cage Empty Prevue Hendryx Critter Animal Cage

Post by SoBrill Tue 24 May 2016, 12:30 am

Hello there!

Currently, my mice are housed in tanks, however, I would much prefer a cage for various reasons. Mice, of course, are escape artists who can fit through most cage bars. I think I've found a cage that would work with mice, but I wanted to check in with you guys to make sure. The bar spacing is apparently 3/8, so I believe it could work. I don't plan on using the floor grate.

Here is the cage.

Also, this is slightly off topic, but would using fleece (with an absorbent layer) be acceptable to use for mice? I use it with my rats but since my mice are housed in tanks it hasn't ever mattered. However, with this cage, it would sort of be needed unless I wanted a mess of bedding anywhere.
SoBrill
SoBrill

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Prevue Hendryx Critter Animal Cage Empty Re: Prevue Hendryx Critter Animal Cage

Post by scaredymouse Tue 24 May 2016, 1:11 am

Hello, welcome to the forum. So, I took a look at the cage and it certainly looks like a nice cage and the bar spacing is safe for mice. However, it is enormous! I don't know how mice would handle that much space. Typically, mice get really flighty and wild when they have too much space. That's why 10 gallon aquariums are recommended for single males or a trio of females. I know it seems like such a tiny living environment, especially when you have other animals that benefit from more space. I also have hamsters and the rule of thumb is the bigger the better but that doesn't usually hold true for mice. They are happiest in a small, cozy home. It has also been my personal experience that my mice became a lot less friendly when I upgraded their tank.

That said, the cage you posted looks safe except for the grate at the bottom. I'm not sure how you would be able to not use the bottom grate, though. It looks like it's designed in such a way that if you remove it there will be open space in the front of the cage where it slides in. About the fleece, I know that using it alone is really messy for mice since they poop and pee everywhere. I use fleece hammocks for my mice which they use as a nest basically, which means they try not to make a huge mess in there, but it still gets really gross. So, I actually don't know how that would be if you added an absorbent layer on top (I imagine you mean a thin layer of paper based bedding?). I have tried lining my tanks with paper towels for easy clean up. I have 7 tanks of critters and only one leaves the paper towel layer alone. Everyone else digs and tears it up, which would fling bedding out of a cage for sure. I don't know if mice would leave a fleece layer alone or make a big mess. But it's safe.

Not sure if any of this helps but that's all I know about that Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 24 May 2016, 5:46 am

For the grate problem, you could get a piece of glass that fits perfectly in the bottom, sand down the edges, and put it over the grate so it won't hurt their feet. But I second everything Scaredy said.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 24 May 2016, 9:12 am

I thought it was recommended bar spacing be no bigger than 1/4 inch? I know 3/8 isn't much bigger but with mice a little extra space can make a big difference. Confused

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 24 May 2016, 9:35 am

Oh yes, Calla raises a good point. Your mice could squeeze right out.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 24 May 2016, 12:41 pm

I think that's the absolute maximum bar spacing you could get away with, and only with fully developed adults.

I've used cages with that bar spacing before, for adult mice, and have gotten away with it. But that was with chunky british show mice, which were huge, so there was no way they were escaping.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 24 May 2016, 1:48 pm

British mice and American mice are very different. It would be ill-advised to compare their care. Just because British mice can have cages with slightly larger bar spacing doesn't mean American mice can. I'm assuming the OP has American mice, right?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by SoBrill Tue 24 May 2016, 2:30 pm

Yes, I do have American mice. That's unfortunate about the cage.

Though, to clarify what I said earlier, on the website it mentions that you can use the cage without the grate, so I assume I could have potentially put the tray in the grate's spot. It doesn't really matter now because it seems it would be unsafe.

Oh, and if I were to use fleece, I would be using fleece with a u-haul blanket sewn inside so that when they pee it would be soaked up instead of sitting on the top or going to the bottom. This one to be exact. But, as I said earlier, it doesn't really matter now.

Thank you all for replying! c:
SoBrill
SoBrill

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 24 May 2016, 4:37 pm

I do agree Cinnamon, I wasn't recommending that bar spacing for the average mouse (which is why I mentioned that they were British show mice). Sorry if that wasn't clear Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Tue 24 May 2016, 4:58 pm

3/8ths of an inch bar spacing is good for adult mice.  It's the smallest width I've ever measured on any of the various wire cages I've had.  It is essential to make sure none of the bars are bent or can be stretched to make a wider gap.  Edges, corners and gaps around doors need to be covered because they usually have open spaces wider than 3/8ths.  

If someone finds a cage that literally has 2/8ths inch bar spacing, please share it with us!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 24 May 2016, 6:13 pm

Most I've seen have too big of a gap. The ones I've seen that claim 1/4" spacing are usually the ridiculously small cages.

I just took a bit of a look and over on Foster and Smith's they claim the cage mentioned in the first post of this thread has 1/4" spacing. Don't know if it's accurate.
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20003

Spacious, all-metal cage is the ideal home for any rat or chinchilla. This safe and durable small pet cage features 1/4" bar spacing along with two metal shelves and two solid metal ramps to prevent your pet from harmful chewing. Roomy floor plan allows plenty of room for a cozy hideout and stimulating toys. Since the included metal bottom grille is removable, cleaning is a breeze. Large front door with safety lock keeps your small pet safely contained and gives you easy access to your pets. Storage shelf keeps necessities close at hand. Rolling casters make moving this cage easy. 20-1/2" x 31" x 39-1/2" high. Interior of cage is 28-1/4" high.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 24 May 2016, 6:28 pm

It's a shame you guys don't get some of the cages we can get in the UK, and europe Sad I know of some awesome 6 and 7 mm barred cages (about 1/4 inch).

But then you guys seem to be able to get tanks much cheaper than here!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down