Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food

2 posters

Go down

Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food Empty Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food

Post by stephlisa Mon 25 Sep 2017, 3:59 am

So I thought people on here might be interested in the homemade mouse food recipe that Wood Green suggested we try with our new boys yesterday. We're going to give it a try when we've got all the ingredients together. Its what they've been feeding the boys since they had them and apparently they're doing really well on it, so we'll give it a go - currently researching the suggestions for the ones which look best. At Wood Green they seemed more about the variety of ingredients and less concerned about the nutritional analysis which I found interesting.

Ingredients
6 scoops rabbit/rat muesli (see suggestions below)
1/2 scoop dog kibble or rat nuggets (see suggestions below)
Handful of healthy treats (e.g. seeds/nuts, dried fruit, banna chips, dog biscuits, dried noodles)
3 scoops healthy, low salt, low sugar breakfast cereal or other grains (see suggestions below)
1/2 scoop uncooked wholemeal pasta

Suitable Rabbit/Rat Muesli
Burgress Supa Fruit
Burgress Supa Natural
Mr Johnson's Clover Country Crunch
Harrison's Banana Rabbit Brunch
Supreme Reggie Rat
Rupert Rat
Xtra Vital Rat
GJW Titmuss own brand rabbit muesli
Dodson and Horrell Pasture mix (for horses)

Suitable dog kibble or rat nuggets
James Wellbeloved - senior and light dog kibble
Burns - adult, senior and organic kibbles
Skinners Field and Trial dog kibble
Wainwrights dog kibble
Burgress rat nuggets
Pets At Home rat nuggets
Small holder range - Pig Starter Pellets
Autarky natural lite dog kibble

Suit Cereals
Cornflakes
Wheetabix
Special K
Bran flakes
Oats
Fruit and Fibre
Rice Krispies
Shredded wheat

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food Empty Re: Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food

Post by CallaLily Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:36 am

I wonder about rabbit food. Isn't it more hay based? I personally prefer to use more whole ingredients over more processed things like dog kibble or cold breakfast cereals. But that's just me. Watch sugar content in the cereal. I've seen similar diets talked about on other groups/sites. I think I read somewhere that many German small animal communities tend to focus more on variety than nutritional analysis too.

Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to see other mixes.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food Empty Re: Wood Green's Suggested Homemade Mouse Food

Post by stephlisa Mon 25 Sep 2017, 7:29 am

The types of rabbit they are suggesting seem to be all discontinued and I don't know what's best out of the options there are so we're going for a rat/mouse muesli style one.
Its Supreme Reggie Rat and Mimi Mouse Tasty Mix. We chatted with the charity and are going to use the Science Selective Mouse food blocks in place of the dog kibble and add extra protein in the form of a few mealworms once or twice a week. We'll be adding a selection of the seeds that Colin used to love as the "healthy treats" part. For the cereals, we're planning on using oats and natural grains (depending on what I can find in the shops) rather than commerical breakfast cereals. We'll also be including the wholemeal pasta to add extra variety.

Once a week they'll be encouraged to eat some fresh veggies (let's see if they will eat more fresh veggies than Colin did!!)

We're currently following the idea of variety over total nutritional analysis but we're keeping notes on the nutritional side of things just in case it turns out to be a problem.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 25 Sep 2017, 8:03 am

That sounds much better! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down