Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!)

+3
elmtree
scaredymouse
AnonymousMouseOwner
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Empty The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!)

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 05 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

So, today was a crazy day. Laughing

We went to several pet stores because I was picking up some bedding and using my free treat/toy coupon, then my dad had to get some mealworms for his reptiles. I went to Petco and started looking at the hamsters, but none of them were too irresistible. I watched them for a while then made a comment to my mom, I said "Man, I wish they had the back room pets out on display, I'm too shy to ask about them but want to see them". I wasn't thinking when I said that, as I totally wasn't prepared for another hamster lol. However, my mom asked the Petco employee walking by if they had any pets in the back room. The employee said they had one hamster for adoption, the rest of the back room pets were sick and in quarantine. So, I asked if it was a syrian or a dwarf. She said it was a dwarf. I then said "Oh, okay, I was looking for a syrian". But then she asked if I want to see the dwarf, so of course I said yes lol. She brought him out and he seemed to be super sweet. His old owner was a young girl who didn't want him "because he was aggressive". So basically he was from Petco, went to his new home, then got returned, and now he's  in his forever home with me. I was totally not interested in getting a dwarf, but it was one of those times where I just couldn't say no. I'm not sure what type of dwarf he is, but I'm thinking he's a Russian Campbells? (I may have spelled that wrong). The employee said she didn't know what he was, she called him a "DJ", but I doubt that's the proper name. I haven't tried to interact with him at home yet, since I'm letting him settle in, but he doesn't seem aggressive at all.

Please excuse that all he has a saucer wheel, I know that bothers some hamster owners, but it's all I had and I will be buying a proper sized silent spinner in a few weeks, I think he'll be fine until then. Smile

If there's anything you can tell me about dwarfs that is different from syrian care, let me know! I'm new to being a dwarf owner and could use the advice. I know one thing that's different is that I shouldn't give many sugary treats to help prevent diabetes, correct?

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8814
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8811
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8813
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8810
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8812
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8815
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8816

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Empty Re: The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!)

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:38 am

oh my gosh, what a cutie.  I really like dwarfies.  He's a campbells.  Limit the sugar but you don't have to avoid it.  They are prone to type 1 diabetes, meaning it's genetic.   the only thing he needs is a sand bath... He'll get real greasy without one.  You can use chinchilla sand (not dust) or playground sand  but you'll have to bake it to sanitize it.

congrats, i love him.  I hope you have lots of fun.  My first ham was a dwarf...i think they're my favorite.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Empty Re: The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!)

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

one more thing... Sometimes they get a little aggressive in their tank and a little nibbly.  If he does that, just scoop his grouchy little butt up on a cup or something and then plop him into your hand.  Should be fine.

dorfs are famous for being grouchy.  Its actually pretty adorable.  They remind me  of grumpy old men but they're really big softies on the inside.  

they also seem to be more food driven than Syrians.  If you plop down a pile of food in front of them, they will almost always stop and eat it.  It makes for great picture taking.  You can set up a nice background, plop the ham down with some snacks, and get great pics.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:51 am

scaredymouse wrote:oh my gosh, what a cutie.  I really like dwarfies.  He's a campbells.  Limit the sugar but you don't have to avoid it.  They are prone to type 1 diabetes, meaning it's genetic.   the only thing he needs is a sand bath... He'll get real greasy without one.  You can use chinchilla sand (not dust) or playground sand  but you'll have to bake it to sanitize it.

congrats, i love him.  I hope you have lots of fun.  My first ham was a dwarf...i think they're my favorite.
Thank you! That's good to know, I'll stick to giving mostly seeds and insects for treats, but I'll give him a little something special occasionally. He does have a sand bath, I just forgot to mention that! I use children's play sand. Blue loved sand baths so I had sand left over from him. I gave the new hammy a good sized sand bath with about an inch of sand. He seems to like hanging out in it Very Happy

The employee did tell me that he is a bit bitey inside his cage, but is fine once he's outside it, so I think I will start taming by taking him somewhere neutral. I used to let Blue run around on the large table I have in my pet room, supervised of course, and he had a lot of fun with all the space, so I think that's what I will do. Thank you for all of your help!

The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 06 Nov 2017, 2:27 am

He woke up from his little nap, so I got some more pictures. Also some housing pics, just in case you have any suggestions Smile
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8913
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8912
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8910
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8817
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8914
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8911
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8915
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8917
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8916
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8918

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by elmtree Mon 06 Nov 2017, 3:33 am

What a cutie!
Is that a Christmas theme in his cage? It looks lovely. Smile
Your pictures are absolutely stunning by the way!

elmtree

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 06 Nov 2017, 4:24 am

elmtree wrote:What a cutie!
Is that a Christmas theme in his cage? It looks lovely. Smile
Your pictures are absolutely stunning by the way!

Thank you!

Yes, I was going for a Christmas-y look. It isn't completely a Christmas themed cage yet, as I'd like to add some more themed decor in, and change the background to a more Christmas themed background. I was using the white bedding to represent snow, and the red/green bedding to add more color and make it feel more Christmas themed Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Nov 2017, 6:28 am

great set up!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

Laughing Isn't it wonderful when people do the talking for you? Congrats on your hamster! lol

He's adorable. Does he have a name? I scrolled back through in case you mentioned it, but couldn't find one. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:44 pm

He's super cute! Congrats!

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

What a cutie pie!!! I'm so happy for you and for your little hammy! Very nice set up. I have that same wooden house for my winter white hammy. My hammy, Cam, also likes his ceramic hides. So you could add one of those if you like Very Happy Cam has a flamingo, a pineapple, a cat, a frog, and a coffee mug Very Happy and he really does use them all regularly! Great photos by the way!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:36 pm

Peachy wrote:Laughing Isn't it wonderful when people do the talking for you? Congrats on your hamster! lol

He's adorable. Does he have a name? I scrolled back through in case you mentioned it, but couldn't find one. Razz
Lol! Thank you! No name yet, it usually takes me a while to name my pets Razz If you know of any cute names that maybe kind of go with my "theme" for names, feel free to suggest! Very Happy

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:33 am

He's cute! Congrats.

Ash/Asher
Linden
Stone
Flint
Talon

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 08 Nov 2017, 4:29 am

I am considering a few names, and one of them was on your list @CallaLily. I think I've tied two favorites, Flint and Cliff, they are both great names. I will have to spend some more time with him and see which one suits his personality better! Some more pics Smile :
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8926
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8927
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8928
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Img_8929

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:25 am

His name is now...
The new hammy! (Totally unexpected!) Flintc10
Flint!
I like nature names, and thought it was a cute name. Smile

I've been interacting with him, and he hasn't bitten my bare hand at all. I used my bite-proof gloves at first, and he nibbled those a little, but when I showed him my bare hand, he just sniffed it and walked away, lol. I haven't shown him my fingertips though, I used a clenched fist when showing him my hand so that he couldn't bite the most sensitive part of the hand, fingertips. I'm going to slowly progress with taming, and eventually hopefully show him a bare hand, flat, and hope he reacts okay. For being called an aggressive hamster though, he's doing super well! He doesn't appear to have cage aggression from what I've seen.

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next