Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excessive drinking

3 posters

Go down

Excessive drinking Empty Excessive drinking

Post by Rara Fri 24 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

Hey there
My mouse is 3 months old & was a rescued mouse. Last week or 2 he has been drinking way too much water. Now he is peeing everywhere and in his bedding. I am concerned about his health. Any ideas on the cause?
Rara
Rara

Aries Twisted

Back to top Go down

Excessive drinking Empty Re: Excessive drinking

Post by CallaLily Fri 24 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

How much water is he drinking? Are you're sure the bottle is not leaking?

Boys tend to pee everywhere, marking their territory. That's normal. There's a little bit of info on how to try to balance cleaning so he'll hopefully mark less here: Cleaning, Odor, and Bedding and Let's Hear it for the Boys.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 27 Nov 2017, 6:30 pm

I agree... make sure the water bottle isn't leaking.

Boys pretty much pee constantly. At least my boys do on me anyway. I have 4 ounce water bottles in their tanks and they usually drink 1/4 to 1/2 bottle per week. So when you say he is drinking too much... is it more than that?

Mice drink a lot and pretty much eat most of their waking hours. He might just be eating or drinking more because he's growing... might be nothing.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rara Tue 05 Dec 2017, 6:54 pm

Yes it is. He is having up to 20ml per day
Rara
Rara

Aries Twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 06 Dec 2017, 3:23 pm

The only way to be sure the bottle isn't leaking is to try using a different bottle and seeing if you get the same results.

If the results are the same, it's possible your little guy is diabetic. I'm afraid with mice there isn't much you can do in the way of treating them... especially since it would be type 1 diabetes which is genetically determined as opposed to diet related.

let me know if you get the same results with a different bottle and then we can talk about further testing and how to care for him.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rara Thu 07 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

Ah tysm. Yes same result with different bottles unfortunately. I had read diabetes can cause pee to smell sweet? For the amount he pees, his cage doesn't smell like other males I have owned previously. I don't have knowledge of his genes as he is a rescue mouse

Rara
Rara

Aries Twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rara Thu 07 Dec 2017, 7:25 pm

Oh and thanks @ CallaLily. Those articles summed up all I suspected over the years of having micies with me. ^-^

Rara
Rara

Aries Twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 08 Dec 2017, 1:32 am

Ok, so, to determine if his water intake is related to diabetes, you can purchase some keto diastix strips online, or maybe from a pharmacy. Make sure they are the kind that measure ketones and glucose. Then you can put the mouse in a carrier without bedding and wait for him to pee, then dip the stick in his urine. If the glucose is above normal, he's diabetic.

As i said, there isn't a way to treat a mouse with diabetes. But you can make sure that he doesn't get any extra sugar. If he's urinating a lot, you may need to spot clean his tank during the week.

The only other thing that comes to mind that causes increased water intake is kidney disease, which unfortunately is another thing that can't really be treated in mice. However, if you get the keto diastix and rule out diabetes... That means your mouse doesn't have any dietary restrictions which means that you can spoil him with whatever he wants to eat. So even though neither thing can be treated, diagnosis may help you provide the best course of action.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rara Sat 09 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm

Scaredymouse- I am very grateful for your help. We went to vets on Friday and Mooney had a pee test. The vet had not often seen such strong colours in the ketones & another one too, and his blood cells (I forget which colour), were alarmingly low. We have put him on anti biotics in case he has developed urinary tract infection. Our vet is researching a diet for him and we are going to do another pee test after 11 days.

Rara
Rara

Aries Twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

Excellent! I'm glad you found a vet that can help you treat him. Let us know how it goes in a couple weeks. We don't see many mice with this problem, so we would love to continue learning about him and his treatment.

Also UTIs are very common because of all the sugar in the urine.... Bacteria love it!

I've had success treating diabetic hamsters with insulin. Theoretically mice could be treated too. However, hamsters are insulin resistant so it makes treating them easier and safer since there is little risk of overdose. In small critters, rather than checking the blood for glucose levels to determine insulin dose, we measure water intake with the goal of lowering it to normal levels. It's very interesting. So, down the road, if you and you vet decide to try and treat him, I'd be happy to tell you everything i know about hamsters and see if it's helpful to you. Since mice are not insulin resistant, he may be able to take an oral med like metformin. Good luck.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down