Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get Mice more used to you?

4 posters

Go down

How to get Mice more used to you? Empty How to get Mice more used to you?

Post by fancymice Wed 11 Apr 2018, 12:03 am

Hi, I have two female mice, and I wanted to know how I can gain their trust more, so that they voluntarily climb on my hand. Also, I’d like them to get more used to their playtime box and for me to be able to train them, because right now they don’t really want to train. Thank you! Smile
fancymice
fancymice

Back to top Go down

How to get Mice more used to you? Empty Re: How to get Mice more used to you?

Post by JuniperBerry55 Wed 11 Apr 2018, 12:44 am

I think the very best thing is time and patience. Mice are very curious animals, so if you just sit quietly with your hands in the cage they should eventually come up to you, sniff your hands and even climb onto them. Don't move your hands at this stage, only do so when they are very confident climbing up on your hands.

Once they are, you can start to take them out of the cage. Mice love novelty, so bring them up to a few objects and let them sniff, then put them back in their cage. Some mice will climb straight back on, so show them some more - others would've had enough.

Eventually, you can let them down to explore - I often use my desk or side table for this. Since they already see your hand as a safe place at this point they can climb back onto it when they feel scared or want to go back to their cage.

This is how I've tamed most of my mice, the main this is getting them to see that your hand = something fun. Smile

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by PrestigePetsMouseLOVR Thu 03 May 2018, 11:35 pm

Hi! First of all, don't take them out of the cage or anything... unless in a toilet paper tube! (or for cleaning!) Here are my tips on training!
Offer them some (good) baby food on a spoon as inanimate objects are less scary. You can make the noise you want to calm them (took took took, here flowers, its okay, etc) but calming and softly. After a short while you can offer small treats, such as oats. Keep doing this for at least 5 days (twice a day) and after this you and gradually move treats (oats etc) onto your hands. They will climb on and eat the treat, or grab it and move away. Just keep doing this, and you can pick them up ( hands either side and slowly they'll step on you. Then move them to a play area, and step away. PUT THEM IN A HOUSE ETC TO PUT THEM BACK IN THE CAGE bc then they only assiociate you with good things! Smile Smile

PrestigePetsMouseLOVR

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 04 May 2018, 8:26 am

I’ve always found taming to go smoother outside of their home. At first, I move them over to a safe play area using a tube or a box but once they’re comfortable climbing into my hand I move them over that way. I never grab or even scoop my mice unless it’s an emergency (escapee for example).  

Once in the play space (I use a big sterelite bin, others use the bath tub) I start out with just sitting my hand in there without moving it, letting them come up to check me out on their own time. Most mice are curious enough that it doesn’t take long before they start climbing into my hand. Once they’re comfy with that, I introduce movement. First just giving them a ride from one end of the play bin to the other. A lot of them really seem to enjoy this game and will run straight back to the starting point to go again and again. Then once they’re super comfy with that I start lifting them up and out, letting them climb on me or hang out in my hoodie. Though I haven’t had too many mice that have enjoyed just snuggling like that. Most just climb up and down my arms then ask to get down.

I’ve had a couple very shy and timid mice that weren’t brave enough to play the hand ride game. So for them I used a tube (same one each time) that when they went in it I would give them a ride over to the other end of the play bin but the trick was that to get out at the end they had to step onto my hand. Keeping my hand still of course so they would learn I wasn’t a threat.  At first they would dart quickly back into the play bin, barely even touching my hand.  Over time they stepped by slower and slower, learning to trust that I wouldn’t hurt or grab them. Eventually they would just climb in my hand when offered like the others. It just took them a little longer to trust.  Time and patience is key. And it also can help to get into a routine. So try to get them out around the same time everyday. You can also use a phrase or noise to signal play time every time. Most mice will catch on quickly.

Also, I find hand treating untamed mice can encourage nipping and sometimes biting. But once they’re tamed up, this shouldn’t be an issue. Before then I leave treats for them to find upon returning home. Another thing they catch on quickly too and come to expect and leaves the connection of play time = good things. I hope this helps.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down