Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mice

3 posters

Go down

New Mice  Empty New Mice

Post by Bree Wed 15 Aug 2018, 7:02 pm

I went to Petco a week ago and got 2 female mice. Ive been trying to tame them and I’m desperate at this point. I wanna cry because they both are so terrified of me. I tried the bathtub, I’ve tried not feeding them for a day then trying to feed them by hand, i tried giving them treats but they are terrified if my hands. I NEVER pick any of my previous mice up by their tail, and I’ve never had a problem with taming mice in the past. I’m desperate
Bree
Bree

Leo

Back to top Go down

New Mice  Empty Re: New Mice

Post by CallaLily Thu 16 Aug 2018, 11:36 am

They’re still very very new so I’m not surprised that they’re still a bit unsure. Some mice take a little longer to tame than others too, so try not to compare too much to any previous mice. You just have to keep working at it, time and patience is all that will work. There’s more info on taming here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t8-handling-and-taming.

Please keep in mind that mice have very high metabolisms and need to eat very frequent small meals throughout the day/night. Their main staple food should never be restricted. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

New Mice  Empty Re: New Mice

Post by AmyLynn Sat 22 Sep 2018, 2:41 pm

Hello,

All mice are different so do not get too worried that your new set of mice are not taking to you as fast as perhaps your others had. I can suggest a few things that work wounder for myself or people that I spoke with.

Try buying a pair of fleece socks or mittens. wear them for a bit and then put one in the cage for them to cuddle with. This will get them use to your smell and connect your smell with comfort.

Use a toilet paper roll to pick them up at first and hold them while they are safe inside the roll. It will let you get closer without being directly in your hand.

offer the back of your hand to the mouse instead of the front and make it into a fist. It sounds funny but my Petco purchased girl was originally scared of open hands. I think it is from kids banging on the glass at the pet store and putting their hand all over it.

I know lot of people that used treats but I never did. I wanted them to connect to me as a companion and friend not a food/treat dispenser. (but that is just opinion)

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member