Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose?

3 posters

Go down

Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose? Empty Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose?

Post by Sam Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm

Jack, the last of my original trio of mice, has extremely suddenly fallen ill. A month ago she was plump, happy and as active as ever. I saw her out in the cage tonight and had been meaning to check her, since I was seeing plenty of her two younger companions and she didn't seem to be active. Being the dominant and boldest, that is abnormal.

I looked in the cage and immediately knew something was wrong. She was previously 48 grams as of August 1st (a little tubby, but compared to other mice she is just large in the first place) but now is just 24g. For her that is skin and bones. That came extremely suddenly, as I saw her active and happy a week ago.

She was very lethargic and seemed to have trouble breathing. She's always very bouncy but I was able to hold her on her back and feel her hips, back and gut for tumors. I didn't feel anything, but when I checked her just a few minutes ago she was bleeding from her nose. Her chest seems huge and her back is very hunched, so I'm guessing she has a tumor in her chest but I can't be sure. She didn't cough, sneeze or have a runny nose prior so I doubt an infection.

The two mice I got with her both died from cancerous tumors, although she isn't their sister. She is a year and nine/ten months old, give or take a little. One had a tumor larger than a nickel develop in less than ten days. They did all come from the same shop, as there isn't a single breeder in my entire province. I only adopt former shop mice now, but I didn't know mice were even available for adoption near me at the time

She also has trouble walking. She didn't wrap her tail around my fingers like usual and mostly dragged her back legs. Her spine feels normal.

It's too late here for the only exotic vet within two hours drive, and even if we called in for an emergency appointment it is down narrow county roads so driving at night isn't a good idea. I can take her tomorrow if I think it would really solve anything.

The way she looks I would put her down if I knew for sure it was a tumor (at the local vet, not the exotics. They do their best and I've asked to make sure that they do indeed euthanize small animals in the kindest way possible) But without comformation I'm not sure I could handle doing that without knowing that it wasn't something easily curable. Or is she old enough that it's not really worth it anymore? I'm not sure she'll even make it through the night, but if so I'll have to make a decision. I just lost one of my hamsters last night and another mouse just ten days ago, both unexpectedly but within reason. I'm very worn down so please understand that I am trying my best and am not here for vet care, but for advice from other mouse keepers experiences

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose? Empty Re: Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose?

Post by CallaLily Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm

That amount of weight loss is not a good sign. If she makes it through the night, a vet trip is a very good idea. With her age, if she is suffering, it may be in her best interest for the vet to help her along. Your vet will have more answers for you. I’m so sorry I’m not more help.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose? Empty Re: Sudden weight loss, trouble breathing and bloody nose?

Post by Sam Sat 08 Sep 2018, 12:03 am

Thank you so much for your reply, but unfortunately Jack passed away just a few moments ago, in my hands. Her breathing got much worse, and after a few breaths she stopped. I'm almost certain that her hind end was paralyzed. I'll try researching and ask my vet next time I see him if he has any ideas. I suppose it's good that her suffering didn't last, but I wish I could've caught it sooner

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:02 am

I am so sorry about your mouse. It is good that her did not suffer. Angel

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:07 am

I’m so sorry to hear. Sad It’s good you were able to be with her in her final moments. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down