Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stress + Weight loss?

2 posters

Go down

Stress + Weight loss?  Empty Stress + Weight loss?

Post by SkittishElf Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:56 pm

I have four female mice in a 40 gallon terrarium. They used to all get along, but two started to fight very seriously so I've separated them into pairs with a partician. One of the mice that was doing the fighting is quite underweight and has been since tension started. Her sister who is in the same area is a fine weight. She is eating, drinking, and moving about normally. I would have expected her to start putting the weight back on by now but she's still very skinny. Does anyone know if weight loss is often attributed to stress? Should I move the other two mice to an entirely different cage? The only other health concern I'm seeing with her is that she vocalizes more, but this seems to most often be when the other two mice are roaming around the top of the cage for some playtime. So is even just knowing her enemy is there stressing her out? And could this be why she's so skinny? To describe how skinny she is, when she is standing or hunched I can see her waist clearly, whereas with the others it blends in more. Not sure if that makes any sense. Suggestions?

SkittishElf

Back to top Go down

Stress + Weight loss?  Empty Re: Stress + Weight loss?

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:35 pm

I believe it could be stress related. I would suggest moving one pair of the girls to a different tank and see if that helps.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by SkittishElf Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:43 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will see about getting another tank, I've been meaning to anyway since the separation.

SkittishElf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:13 pm

Keep us posted and let us know if things improve. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down