Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lumps and weight loss

4 posters

Go down

Lumps and weight loss Empty Lumps and weight loss

Post by Flower Sat 09 Sep 2017, 10:14 am

Hello Smile

My little mouse, Yuki, has lost a bit of weight quite suddenly. It's not as extreme as I've seen before, but she still has me concerned. I've also noticed smallish lumps on either side of her body, near her front legs and her movements seem more lethargic than usual. I don't know whether the lumps are a result of the weight loss or something more menacing. Her left eye looks slightly irritated, too. This picture shows one of the lumps. It's symmetrical on both sides. The picture doesn't really show how skinny she is, her spine looks more prominent in person Smile

Lumps and weight loss Img_0710

In the past I've had mice die very quickly after sudden changes in weight, so I'm very worried about her! Any help would be appreciated a great deal. Thank you so much for your time!

Flower

Back to top Go down

Lumps and weight loss Empty Re: Lumps and weight loss

Post by stephlisa Sat 09 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

I'd definitely get her to the vets to checked out. As for the lumps, its likely its a tumor or an abscess. Personally, I have no real life experience with either of these yet (but I've seen it on the forum a lot!) so hopefully someone with more experience can help, but I don't like seeing unanswered threads in the emergency section!

If its a tumor its normally a case of keeping the mouse as comfortable as possible from what I understand, but you should definitely go to the vet to determine which it is. Given its symmetrical I would inclined to think its a tumor unfortunately, but as I say I have no real life experience. (I'm guessing this because an abscess is normally a wound (bite or whatever) that has become infected. Google tells me that vets can treat abscesses.)

Make sure she's still drinking and eating - mice can dehydrate easily. (My overall advice is to always go the vet if you're concerned.)

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 09 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm

Her lumps sound like they are near her lymph nodes and on both sides is concerning for something like lymphoma.  It's always best to see vet, even though they might not be able to help, if only for a diagnosis and pain medication.

you are correct as well about the sudden weight loss, it's usually a very bad sign and indicative of cancer.  But, sometimes mice hold on longer than expected and maintain an adequate quality of life.  Only time will tell.

I'm sorry about your mouse...

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Flower Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

scaredymouse wrote:Her lumps sound like they are near her lymph nodes and on both sides is concerning for something like lymphoma.  It's always best to see vet, even though they might not be able to help, if only for a diagnosis and pain medication.

you are correct as well about the sudden weight loss, it's usually a very bad sign and indicative of cancer.  But, sometimes mice hold on longer than expected and maintain an adequate quality of life.  Only time will tell.

I'm sorry about your mouse...

Thank you so much for your advice. She's a bit worse now and is looking slightly thinner and I know there's something very wrong. She's moving, eating and drinking, but she's quite clumsy and not her normal, agile self. I have no issues paying for a vet trip, anything to help her in any way. But the nearest vet is a 40 min drive. The last mouse I had in a similar (bit worse) condition was so stressed by the experience that she died in the vet's hands. I deeply regret taking her to the vet as her last moments were stressful and she was away from her friends. In your experience, is it worth it to take them even if it's stressful and their condition is bad? If so, should I bring her sisters with her? I'm hoping that, being a strong mouse, she will pull through, but I know it's possible that these are her last few days and I don't want to cause her any more suffering.

Flower

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 10 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm

that is definitely a tricky situation, it's hard to say what the best course of action is for her.  It would certainly  be a shame for her to spend for last moments in fear.   you know her best, if she doesn't seem like she's in too much pain, i would let her live out her days in the comfort of home.  dying is a natural part of life, she may be uncomfortable and weak, but that doesn't mean you need to run to the vet.  There is a difference between pain and suffering.  I say as long as she's not suffering, keep her with her family and keep her comfortable.

but if things change, and you need to take her to the vet....i would take her sisters with her for comfort.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

I totally agree with everything Scaredy said.
Best not to stress her.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down