Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused about food

3 posters

Go down

Confused about food Empty Confused about food

Post by Laluna Sat 15 Sep 2018, 3:12 pm

I have red the article on this forum about mousefoid and i’ve learned a lot.

I have a question after reading this:

‘Mouse food is usually unsuitable for mice (the crude protein tends to be too high, for example) so we often recommend feeding a hamster or parakeet food. Some common foods that we recommend are:

Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Prima Parakeet Formula
Vitakfraft VitaSmart Parakeet Food
Vitakraft Vita Prima Sunscription Dwarf Hamster Formula
Brown's Tropical Carnival Gourmet Hamster & Gerbil Food’

After reading this: I checked the types of food for my mice and they are not very good according to the article. I feed them a few days a week mixed food for mice and it contains too much corn, and they are only eating the things they like most. So most of the time i feed them complete pellets. Because they cannot select there food i buy 3 different brands of complete pelletfood ( they all smell and look completely diifferent) i mix those three together and now they are aible to select their food without missing nutrients, because whatever they choose it’s always complete...

But now i reas mousefood isn’t very good and indeed, the pellets i feed them are too high in crude protein or crude protein is about14% but contains only vegetable protein, whilst they need the animalbased protein, i checked different kind of hamsterfood, because it should have lower rates of crude protein, though all hamsterfoods i found contains even more crude protein, up to 24%! The brands of food that are reccoment (i citate above) are not sold in the Netherlands. So i was wondering if there Are other options? Does anybody know other brands of food that are also pretty good?
Laluna
Laluna
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Confused about food Empty Re: Confused about food

Post by Squidly Sun 16 Sep 2018, 4:08 am

Maybe you can add some extra protein to their pellet diet by feeding them 1-2 mealworms each day? That way they get some extra insect protein in their diet. Basically every pet store in my area (Germany) sells dried mealworms in a packet near the rodent food. (meelwormen)

I am new to mice, though, so I am not an expert. Maybe a more experienced member has a better idea. That's what came to my mind though, if you're main problem is that they need more animal protein. I hope you find a good solution!
Squidly
Squidly
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 16 Sep 2018, 5:00 pm

It’s really hard to find a good commercial mouse food. That’s why the parakeet or hamster seed mixes are usually recommended here instead. Because, the parakeet mixes especially, seem to have better variety, “cleaner” ingredients, and usually have the right amount of protein fat and fiber. Please note that if your mice are from well-tracked lines their protein/fat/fiber needs may differ from the general recommendation on this forum. Your breeder should be able to tell you what works best for their lines.

If you’re wanting to go back to a seed mix, you have two options. Make your own (which would require a lot of research and preparation) or find a commercial mix sold near you that is as close to good as you can get. With the commercial mixes don’t expect to find the perfect food. There will be something (or several things) about each one that isn’t great. You just have to compare them all and see which one fits what you’re looking for the closest. You may find mixing two different brands works better to give you more variety and the right amount of crude protein/fat/fiber.

Most here do not recommend solely feeding a block food. Instead these are usually used alongside a good seed mix. But some do prefer block over a mix. I can’t speak on brands where you live, but I know here most of the block food I see are way too much protein and full of junk. The only block type food I’ve found for mice that I like is mainly sold in the UK, Supreme Science Selective Mouse. I was able to ship it in through viovet when I had mice, to use alongside a homemade seed mix.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Laluna Mon 17 Sep 2018, 4:02 am

Thank you both for your advise! I feed them mealworms everyday and the main blockfood i give them besides mixed food is : supreme science selective mice!
Laluna
Laluna
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down