Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper

3 posters

Go down

Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper Empty Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper

Post by Piethemouse Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:10 pm

Hello, everyone! About three weeks ago I brought home my first mouse, Pie. He's currently in a 10 gallon tank (which I'm going to upgrade, more on that in a bit). From the beginning he's been very friendly, climbing up my arm and all over me from the day I got him. That being said, he's also utterly fearless, and extremely willful. No matter what I do, he only wants to escape!! I change up his cage every few days, rotate toys, scatter feed, hide treats, give him puzzle toys, and take him out to play for about an hour a day. And of course he has his 8.5" wheel. When his cage opens he runs up my arm and immediately tries to go down my clothes to the floor. I started out bringing him in the tub, but this was clearly not enough for him, as he makes it his mission to escape. After a few minutes he tries to get up the sides by climbing on me and jumping. So now I've been mouse proofing a large area in the kitchen, but it still hasn't made a difference. I fill the area with toys and things to climb, and he does seem to enjoy it for a little while, but again, he makes it his mission to find a flaw in the play area. Even when I think there's no way he'll escape, sometimes he does because the longer I have him out, the more stubborn and daring he becomes. It's to the point where I'm wondering if he's having fun in any way. Sometimes I have to put him back early because he starts jumping trying to find a way out, and I dont want him to hurt himself. So, I've realized by now that he needs a bigger enclosure, which I am 100% going to do, as I want the best for him. But the thing is, I really fear it won't make a big difference, seeing how he is in a large play area (regardless, I'm still upgrading him). Is he just being a young and active mouse??  Will he mellow out eventually? Is there anything else I can do??

Tldr:  young hyper mouse cannot be satisfied no matter the space/toys/time he is played with . Is there anything else I can do or is this just normal??

Piethemouse

Back to top Go down

Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper Empty Re: Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper

Post by coziebee Sat 29 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

Hmm that’s kinda weird!! How long have you had him? Maybe he could be acting strange because he is stressed and still needs to settle into his environment? Confused I really have no clue why he would be doing this besides being stressed. Hopefully some others can give their opinions/help you out!! Hearts
coziebee
coziebee

Elated

Back to top Go down

Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper Empty Re: Is this normal?? Mouse particularly hyper

Post by DoctorFluffs Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:26 pm

This is kind of old but I actually think this is perfectly normal, if not healthy! Mice are naturally exploratory and will search for new and stimulating environments. If he was anxious, he would more likely stay in the one area that he's familiar with. He is pretty young too and iirc younger mice seem to be more risk takers. Just make sure he can't hurt himself and has no way to get out, once they see the exit they get determined to go there Razz Razz
DoctorFluffs
DoctorFluffs

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down