Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female Empty This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female

Post by FurBabies@732 Sun 28 Jul 2019, 1:35 pm

I work at a petstore and one of our mice had gotten bit in the eye. She survived a month without medication and a month later after she did get the help she needed she healed in a month. I adopted her because she had come to know me and recognized me. She would run to me and want me to pet her. I adopted her but was told since she is a female I need to get another mouse for company. I was weary of this because Zoey was not skittish towards humans or even a 75 pound dog(who happens to be her best friend) and she had been housed alone for around 3 months but I was told I was a terrible owner because I hadn't gotten her a friend. After my shift at work I took home our last female mouse and named her Chloe. She only survived 3 days with zoey. Zoey on the first day would not let chloe eat and she kept bulling her. I talked to people who told me it is fine. Mice have a no blood, no fowl rule so I just needed to let Zoey show her dominance. It looked like they were right because day 2 they actually shared a bowl of food! Zoey seemed angry at me though because she tried to bite my hand when giving her and chloe a treat. Zoey has never tried to bite anyone so it did scare me a bit but the 2 seemed to SLOWLY be getting along so I let them be. Waking up on day 3 Zoey had killed chloe by eating her EYES! Keep in mind that's what originally happened to zoey at the petstore. Another female mouse bit her in the eye. I was heartbroken because I should have known better than to listen to people that don't actually know Zoey. She is not a normal mouse! She is NOT nocturnal, she loves dogs, humans, and even ferrets. She has NEVER been afraid or skittish of me or anyone. She wakes up at 5AM with me so I can clean her cage I place her in her exercise ball and she plays tag with my giant dog. She also has this desire that anytime I get close to her cage she stops whatever she is doing and runs to me. She sticks her pink nose through the wired cage and I either respond by touching her nose with my nose or my finger.
After she killed Chloe she went right back to her "abnormal" self. I will never allow her to be with another mouse again.

Zoey is not like any mouse I have ever seen. Everything they told me she would be, she wasn't. Does anyone here have a mouse that isn't "normal"?

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female Empty Re: This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

When I got a mouse four years ago, I set up everything to have a solo boy.  When I went to the store, all they had was girls.  I decided to take a girl, and luck of the draw handed me Miss April.

I had placed a little fur mouse cat toy inside the new mousie house, to see what the new occupant would do with it -- and as soon as April went into her new home she de-eyed the poor little thing.  Then over the next several days it was completely demolished, to little fur bits, little plastic bits, a fur tail, a little red felt nose spot, and two little round black felt eyes, scattered in the bedding, the food dish, and the water dish.  Didn't seem smart to give April a real mouse for a roommate.

She never outgrew that either. She seemed to really loathe any faux mouse on her turf. Oh the body language!! -- "getthatthingawayfrommerightnowimeanit." Then, when she got her chance, she could snap two felt eyespots off in a fraction of a "lickety split"!

Also same as yours, April never seemed to have any fear for the dogs she encountered.  When I met April I probably already smelled of the other dogs, and it seemed that she just accepted all those smells as part of one big package of large friends.  Fortunately, I soon smelled of April as well, and all those dogs accepted the little thing that smelled like my new smell and didn't bother her.  Sometimes mouse and dog would want to smell each other nose-to-nose, but there was never any fear or aggression from either species.

As her primary companion, it just seemed that little April looked to me for a lot of her behavior cues, and if something was OK by me, she seemed to think it was OK by her too.  She learned early that when I would greet her "good morning" around 5am I'd lean my face way into her tank, so she started standing up to touch noses in greeting.  She would generally want to come out, either to sleep in my shirt or play in her playground box right around 11am, and then be ready for lunch at noon, and finally want to go back to her home tank for an afternoon nap sometime around 1pm to 3pm.  She'd start rattling around looking for something special for dinner at 5pm.  But with all of that napping during the day, she could still stay up all night destroying the interior decorating in the home tank.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female Empty Re: This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female

Post by FurBabies@732 Mon 29 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

[quote="MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop"] WOW! This makes me feel relieved! I never even thought a mouse could be okay with anything I am okay with. It makes so much sense now. I also have a similar routine with Zoey. When I wake up I feed my dog in his crate and then I place Zoey's cage next to me so I can talk to her and do basic cage maintenance. She always runs up to me anytime she hears my voice. I actually thought about using a fake toy mouse for her too. I thought maybe it would help her learn to allow other mice in. But I was afraid of her eating the eyes of the toy and choking. Thank you so much for telling me about your past experience with April. This really helped me understand Zoey a lot more. Heart

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 29 Jul 2019, 8:44 pm

In general most female mice do best in groups but there are always exceptions. But I do want to say it’s more likely she did that damage to the other mouse after death. It’s something mice sometimes do to dispose of the dead - they eat the remains.

For future reference, all new mice should be quarantined for at least 3 weeks and then carefully introduced. Wink

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Mon 29 Jul 2019, 8:50 pm

Sadly chloe is was still alive when Zoey got a hold of her. She was still faintly breathing but her body was already cold. I held her in my arms until her last breath

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 30 Jul 2019, 12:59 pm

I’m sorry to hear that. I know it must have been awful to experience. Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Tue 30 Jul 2019, 1:09 pm

It hurt me so bad. I never knew Zoey would even have it in her to be that aggressive. Now I KNOW though, that she cannot be housed with other mice. I didn't want to house her with another mouse in the first place but I was pretty much bullied into it. I was told I am a bad Fur mom and zoey will die of depression without a friend.

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:12 pm

Just want to add that we might be careful to consider April's and Zoey's characters to be "normal" for a fancy mouse, but rather should think of them as part of a highly varied spectrum. and surely products of both nature and nurture.

Here's one example of how I think April "learned" by watching and copying me:
This mouse is completely the opposite of a normal female April_11
I used to sleep on the sofa next to her overnight tank, on my left side with my face and right hand almost right up against the tank wall so she'd be able to smell me and see me and know I was there even if I wasn't able to play right then.  The aqua in the picture was a fleece tunnel I had made for her to hide and sleep in, but she stomped around on top of it until the surface assumed a sort of a pet bed configuration, and then she curled up on her side with her little face and paw up by the wall, just like "Giant Mouse" (me).

What a little angel!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Tue 30 Jul 2019, 8:46 pm

Oh my goodness! April was such an adorable mouse. I am so sorry you lost her but I know she had a wonderful life with you. Here is a picture of my Zoey. It might be a tiny bit blurry because anytime I take her picture she gets too excited to see me and can't hold still. Also is there a difference between feeder mice and fancy mice? Some people say yes and that fancy mice can grow a little bigger, range in many different colors, have larger ears, and most females are social. Some say no there is no difference and they only call either one mouse a feeder because that's what is what bread to do and others are called fancy because they were bread to be pets. Zoey is an albino feeder mouse so I don't really know if she is like this because of why she was born or if she is just one of the few mice that like to be alone.

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Tue 30 Jul 2019, 8:52 pm

This site won't allow me to post pictures

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 31 Jul 2019, 2:15 pm

Here’s a thread that walks you through step-by-step on how to post pictures.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t956-how-to-post-pictures-with-servimg

“Fancy” mice are bred with more focus on pretty colors and to be sold as pets. “Feeder” mice are bred more for quantity and to be sold as feeders.  There are also “Show” mice  that tend to be a bit larger with bigger ears and thicker tails.  They are all the same species, Mus musculus, just bred with different things in mind.

And if you are purchasing or adopting from a pet store, the only real difference between “feeder” and “fancy” is how they’re labeled for sale. PEW mice tend to be labeled as feeders and any other color tends to be labeled as fancy. They are all from breeder mills who’s main concern is quantity and profit, where a reputable breeder is first and foremost concerned with health and behavior.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t12-varieties-of-mice#showfancy

Every mouse is different. They each have their own personalities. Most female mice prefer to have friends but there are always exceptions. It happens. It’s just more common for them to be social. Sometimes we have to make adjustments on standard care advice for what works best for the individual. You know her best. If she can’t be housed with other females because of extreme territorial behavior then treat her as you would a lone male. Give her tons of activities, changing it up often, and plenty of one-on-one time with you. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Wed 31 Jul 2019, 2:29 pm

It still won't let me post pictures. When I press the photo/sd card button either nothing happens or when it does let me select a file there is no "done button". I press select all and nothing happens.

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 31 Jul 2019, 2:34 pm

Hmmm. It’s hard to say as it can vary some depending on your device. But if you scroll down in the how to thread I linked, Peachy posted another option for sharing pictures. Maybe that one will work for you?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Wed 31 Jul 2019, 2:47 pm

Yeah I tried the other way too. After I click create personal gallery it says new gallery created successfully but there is no way to upload pictures. It's just a blank page that says gallery is successful

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 31 Jul 2019, 3:34 pm

FurBabies@732 wrote:Yeah I tried the other way too. After I click create personal gallery it says new gallery created successfully but there is no way to upload pictures. It's just a blank page that says gallery is successful

This site/method seems to work for most forums (including this one!):

1. Go to this website: https://imgbb.com

2. Hit the blue "Start Uploading" button

3. Select/take a picture

4. Upload it

5. Instead of "Viewer links", hit that and scroll down to "BBCode full linked". This will make it so you don't have to click a link to see the image.

6. Copy and paste the link it gives you into a reply
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next