Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welp, I have 5 mice now

4 posters

Go down

Welp, I have 5 mice now Empty Welp, I have 5 mice now

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Fri 08 Feb 2019, 8:22 pm

Ok, so backstory. I recently upgraded my hamster into a new cage, because my double-decker bin cage wasn’t really working for her, and decided to tweak the cage some and make it more mouse-appropriate so that my girls could eventually move in there, and because it is so big, I wanted to upgrade my colony. So, I got three more females, and if all goes as planned, all five should be living together in the bin cage, but for now it is just the three in there. Here is what it looks like:Welp, I have 5 mice now B49e6f10
And here are all three of my girls:
Welp, I have 5 mice now Fc51a710
The picture isn’t the best quality, but they were all running around and exploring so that was the best I could get of all three. Their named after flowers. The brown and white one is my very motherly Tulip, the red-eyed white is sweet Iris, and the teeny grey one is Orchid. She has a really cool coat, and I can’t really tell if it is partially Rex or dappled, but it is something. I was kind of worried about her because she is half the size of the other two, but again, Tulip is very motherly towards her, and she is the most bold out of all three.  Smile
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Welp, I have 5 mice now Empty Re: Welp, I have 5 mice now

Post by Peachy Fri 08 Feb 2019, 8:32 pm

That cage is amazing, I’m sure all five of your mice will love it! Make sure you introduce them all into something like a 20 gallon initially so that they don’t claim different parts of the double-decker cage and never bond.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 09 Feb 2019, 6:44 am

That looks awesome Smile sorry if you already do, but I'd just wonder if it might be worth adding some mesh windows to the side of the bottom level cage? As far as I can see there's only the small bit on the top for ventilation? It might be fine as it is, but I just wondered if more ventilation might be better for any ammonia build up and smells from their pee, knowing how delicate mice's respiratory systems are.

I agree with Peachy that a 1-level cage might be better for bonding your group together. With two levels the two groups might each try and claim a level, instead of merging into one group. But they are all gonna love that cage! You've done a great job with it and lots of toys and enrichment... I wouldn't mind living there Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Sat 09 Feb 2019, 10:29 am

Thank you! I was already planning on just using the bottom level for a few weeks until I’m positive they are all good together, but I didn’t think too much about the lack of ventilation. I will probably add a few smaller windows on the sides. They actually haven’t even been down there yet, because they are a bit weary of the tubes...I’m not even sure if Orchid can even get down the tubes, she is that tiny... probably going to have to do some more tweaking. Tail Flip
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks_n_Suga Sun 01 Dec 2019, 4:30 am

Really cool set up! What did you use to make the holes in the tub?

Spooks_n_Suga

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Sun 01 Dec 2019, 4:15 pm

We used a drill with some sort of circular attachment, I think. It’s been a few years since we first made this and my dad helped me. I have also seen people use knives they heated up to cut the plastic if you don’t have any power tools. Not to sure if this helped, but I hope it did! Very Happy

Current mice: Pheobe, Blossom, Daffodil, Zinnia, Marigold,
and Aster
Remembering: Peaches, Pepper, Tulip, Orchid, Iris, Luna, Noche, Mrs. Frisby, Daisy, and Benson
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down