Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foster Diet Help

2 posters

Go down

Foster Diet Help Empty Foster Diet Help

Post by Robin~ Sat 03 Aug 2019, 6:27 pm

Hello!

So, I'm looking into fostering for a local rescue organization. They have the option for fostering mice (which I will obviously be doing lol).

So, for food, I would be required to use Reggie Rat/Mimi Mouse diet by tiny friends farm.

Here's the GA:

14% protein
4% fat
4% fiber

It also includes some unrecommended ingredients such as corn (split in the ingredients list mind you) and soybean (hulls).

Any opinions on how to go about fixing up this diet a bit? If it's absolutely inappropriate I can contact the rescue about it and maybe get some feedback (they seem to be most experienced in hamsters anyhow), but if I can fix it with a few calculated add-ins that would be preferable. I have access to some health stores (and amazon) so I can pretty much do anything no matter how obscure it is.

Any help is much appreciated!

~Robin
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Foster Diet Help Empty Re: Foster Diet Help

Post by CallaLily Sun 04 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

Corn and soy aren’t bad, it’s just generally recommended to keep it from being an overwhelming part of the mix. You could play around with mixing in other brands of seed mixes. I know a lot of rescues require foster homes to stick with certain foods, beddings, etc. Maybe ask if they have any other recommended mixes or how they feel about you supplementing with a bit more variety than that brand provides. If I remember correctly, that brand is mainly corn and pea flakes and very little whole food variety.

This links to a hamster forum but if you replace the recommended hamster percentages with correct mouse ones, it can provide a lot of help with mixing and calculating food. http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/102287-hamster-nutrition-iii-calculating-the-guaranteed-analysis-of-a-mixed-diet/page-1

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down