Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Video Games

+6
olimarthemouse
CallaLily
CAPSLOCK
pumpkinmouse
MouseLover
CinnamonPearl
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite Video Games Empty Favorite Video Games

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm

So this was probably blatantly obvious already, but I really love talking about video games. And since it seems like we have a lot more gamers on here than I once believed, I thought I'd ask everyone what your top five favorite games are! If you don't have a top five, just put as many as you have. 

My top five are:
1. Pokemon: Explorers of Sky. This game I played when I was only in fourth grade. It's the first game I really completed, and it was the fist game with a powerful narrative that really changed me forever. The story is beautifully woven together and extremely powerful in emotion, and the ending gets me every time. This is the first game I really cried at in the last special episode, too. The gameplay is fun, but what really makes this game is its powerful story. It doesn't get nearly enough credit in both the pokemon fandom and the gaming sphere as a whole, but it's an utter shame. I play it over and over expecting to figure out why it's not widely loved, but I never do, and it always sits at the top of the list.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest. This game is the most visually stunning game I've ever played, probably one of the most beautiful games to date. The backgrounds look hand painted, and the color schemes of the different areas create a haunting atmosphere that can convey any emotion it wants with ease. The story is told in a minimalist fashion, only ever using dialogue as occasional narration from a god-like being known as the Spirit Tree and game instructions from your companion Sein. Otherwise, the story is told silently and entirely through visuals and music. Considering this, the amount of emotion the story holds is pretty breathtaking, since the narrations are usually only used to tell what's going on at a given moment and not the real story. Its minimalism in story and complete overdrive of visual beauty create a very powerful game with an ending that gets me every time. Even with pretty much the whole story spoiled for me, it still hit home! And not to mention, the gameplay is so smooth and quick, so it's a joy to play. It's pretty difficult (I died 1200 times my first playthrough >.<) but never frustrating.

3. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. This is the first zelda game I played, and even though I wasn't very impressed (aka downright confused) when I first started it, since it's a sequel, I ended up loving it. The story is amazingly dark and very, very unique. Unlike most 3D zeldas which try to emulate Ocarina of Time or are trying to be something they're not, this game is completely its own and the most unique title in the Zelda franchise. The mecahics are wonderful: using music as magic to stop, start, and rewind time, using various masks to take on the bodies of your deceased friends, and z-targeting makes the combat awesome. This game takes a seemingly small world compared to other zeldas like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker and make it bigger on the inside, with a town that's full of things to do and people to meet and an overworld brimming with content. This game has the best story of any Zelda, and considering how dark, mysterious, and cryptic it is in its messages and lore, it's no wonder it's still talked about today. 

4. Undertale. Where do I even begin? Anyone who's played this game will know just how much there is to talk about with this beautiful, beautiful game. Even though this game isn't first on my list, I hold that this is one of the best video games ever made, period. The story is masterful and powerful in its message, turning RPG tropes on their head to tell a story of people having more to them than it seems and the mistakes of the past being accepted and fixed in the present through mercy and forgiveness. This is a game where you can beat the game without killing a single person, and you can befriend your enemies by talking to them and refusing to fight them. The story is a powerful tale of monsters locked underground by humans and the adventures of a human who falls into the underground, accompanied only by the ghost of another human who fell long before you. This game goes so far as to explain all video game mechanics that no one ever questions, like saving and loading, flavor text, and the nature of experience points. The story has two layers, the top being the story of a young child who frees the monsters of the underground, with a hidden story of two siblings who tried to free monsters in the past and died for their mistakes, and how they come to terms with what they did and where they are now. It's beautiful. The internet went mad over this game, and it's easy to see why. It perfected and will set the standard for what a choice-based game is. With excellent gameplay, fun, quirky, and interesting characters, and a powerful story of the nature of kindness and empathy, this game will stay with me my entire life. 

5. Minecraft. A boring choice compared to the others, I know, but what can I say? It's pretty darn good! This game doesn't come close to any of the other games I mentioned, but getting to "craft" your own story (hahahahaha) is what makes this game great. It's a sandbox game in the truest sense. Want it to be a building game? It's a building game. Want it to be a survival game? It's a survival game. Want it to be a monster hunting game? That's what it is. Sandbox games are great because of the element of choice, and the plethora of things to do in it means you'll never get bored. And of course, I have five dogs in this game. Their names are Sweetums, Snowy Taiga, Popato, Yellow Guy, and the Absolute God of Hyperdeath. 

Okay, I'm done. That god reeeaaaally rambly, I know, but I can't help myself! If you have any favorites, feel free to talk about them as much or as little as you want. Smile

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Favorite Video Games Empty Re: Favorite Video Games

Post by MouseLover Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:28 pm

Thanks for sharing Very Happy I haven't played Pokemon Explorers of Sky so I might have to check that out!

My gaming journey began later than most people's I guess. I never owned a console or played games until I was 17 and I got a Nintendo DS from my parents for Christmas. The three games I got were The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. Thus began my love for three games series: Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon (though to be fair I used to love the Pokemon anime and collecting the cards when I was like 8 hehe).

It'll be hard to narrow it down to five games... there are so many great games out there! But I'll give it a go! In no particular order...

#1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. I love all the Zelda games but I had to pick one. I love the art style of Wind Waker and I just think this game has so much character. I loved exploring the open sea and discovering all the little islands. I just love Zelda and I remember having a lot of fun playing this game so it'll always be one of my faves.

#2: Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I first played Animal Crossing Wild World and fell in love with it - I played sooo many hours on that game. After that I played City Folk but I just felt like it wasn't as fun and really didn't play much. When New Leaf came out I just fell in love with Animal Crossing again, and it was (in my opinion) the best one ever.

#3: Ori and the Blind Forest: The prettiest, most atmospheric, beautiful game ever. I just loved it. I found it really moving at times and I won't lie - I had a teary eye more than once. It was pretty tricky at times but really satisfying when I beat the hard bits. Loved the music. Just beautiful.

#4: World of Goo. This is a weird choice. It's quite a casual indie game, but there's just something really unique about it. The art style is kinda creepy and Tim Burton-esque, as is the music. It's basically a physics-based game where you have to drag and connect pieces of goo... But it's just awesome lol.

#5: Undertale. This game is so unique and weird and quirky. The story is so great and I loved taking the pacifist route and making friends with all the monsters. I have two undertale posters lol.

#6: Layers of Fear. (oops this is more than 5). Technically I didn't play this game. My boyfriend and I have a hobby of playing all the scariest video games we can find. He plays through them but we do it together. This is the best horror game we've ever played - and we've played a lot. It starts out fairly standard, but the deeper you go into it, the more trippy and bizarre it gets. Genuinely creepy. We had so much fun and a lot of jump-scares playing this game, so I'll always have fond memories of it.

#7: Pokemon. I wanna pick a particular game but I just can't choose. Maybe Pokemon X because I'm a sucker for the cute stuff and loved Pokemon amie lol.

There's more I could have mentioned but those are the main ones lol.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:36 pm

I love Wind Waker! It was my fourth Zelda, after Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, and Oracle of Seasons. I definitely think it has the most character and the best gameplay out of any zelda. Sailing around the seas was so fun! I like Majora's Mask better because I think the story and atmosphere are better, and the mechanics are more unique. Which zeldas have you played?

Edit: Forgot to mention! I just finished playing through Pokemon: Blue Rescue Team on the Wii U VC. When I first played it a few years back, I hated it and considered it the worst of the Mystery Dungeons series, even after Gates to Infinity. I thought the story was bland and the gameplay was atrociously hard. But after trying it out again, I really fell in love with it. Gameplay was great, the story, though not the best written, was well paced, and the dungeons were fun. The best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is still Explorers of Sky though, with Super Mystery Dungeon as its runner up.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by pumpkinmouse Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm

All of you are exponentially more fluent in gaming than I am, but Diablo II will always have my heart. I've been playing it for probably 10 years on & off, never seems to get old to me.
I've heard mixed reviews, but I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII. It did get repetitive at times, but the graphics & monsters were absolutely stunning. I'm more about the visuals than the actual quality, if that makes sense (not that it wasn't extremely well thought out & executed)
When I have the time / money I fully intend to try Ori. You guys have swayed me, lol. That aesthetic though Love

Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:34 pm

I haven't played either of those, Pumpkinmouse. I've heard good things about Final Fantasy though. I had a buddy who tried to get me into them, but we stopped hanging out before I did. Maybe someday!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:34 pm

Not in order:

1. Skyrim. That game sucked away so much of my life... Witcher Wild Hunt is a great similar game.

2. Uncharted series - sarcasm is always appreciated.

3. Red dead redemption. Well done wild west game.

4. Heavy Rain. Like a choose your own adventure movie. Many possible endings. Really worthwhile. Rated M deservedly.

5. Mario Kart. Double dash is best but all are great. Also sucked away an impressive amount of my life.

And also the old school Roller Coaster & Zoo Tycoons. Plus there was a computer game Populous that was really fun. And you can't go wrong with stuff like Plants vs. Zombies.

I've only done one Zelda (Ocarina of time) but enjoyed it. Also enjoyed World of Goo until I got stuck.
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:37 pm

Skyrim is a classic! I watched a playthrough of it recently. Despite the annoying mods the lets players had downloaded, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Those dragons are awesome when they don't look like macho man.

I also love Mario Karts! My favorite is the wii version, which I mastered, but I've been enjoying the Wii U version.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:50 am

Ok I don't get much time playing video games like I used to and I'm old, so I'm gonna take this back a little.

My all time favorite
1. Super Mario Bros.  1, 2, and 3 on the good ol' NES. Later I really loved Mario World on Super Nintendo.  I do still have my original NES and used to pull it out from time to time to play. But sadly it hasn't worked in a few years. Sad

2. Spyro. When I was a young adult and we had a playstation, this was my game. I had 2 or 3 of them but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what they were called and I did start to get kind of bored with them after a while.

And now.

3. Skyrim. Loved this game. But after losing all my data twice, I just can't get back into it to get all the way through. Luckily I've seen most of the storyline through the kids and my husband playing. I was a Nord the first time and a Khajiit the next time around.

4. Animal Crossing. I started with the one on GameCube. Played Wild World on the DS some and City Folk on Wii. But New Leaf is my favorite.  

5. MineCraft. Simple game but idk, I just really enjoy messing around on it. Though I haven't ever actually seriously played it.  But it's fun to play around on.

Edit: and I love LEGO games. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, LOTR. Theyre just silly and fun.

Last edited by CallaLily on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:55 am

Mine are:

#1: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
#2: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
#3 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
#4: Luigi's Mansion
#5 Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Tue 05 Jul 2016, 9:58 pm

1. Halo series
  2. Gears of War series
  3. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series
  4. Deus Ex series
  5. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  6. Metro 2033 series
  7. Papers, Please
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 06 Jul 2016, 7:01 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:I haven't played either of those, Pumpkinmouse. I've heard good things about Final Fantasy though. I had a buddy who tried to get me into them, but we stopped hanging out before I did. Maybe someday!
While FF I through VII are must-play classics, whatever you do, avoid anything after XII. XIII and it's sequels are some of the worst excuses for RPGs I've ever played. Haven't heard much about XV yet, though. Might actually be good.

Edit - Didn't see that Pumpkinmouse actually enjoyed XIII. I get that a few people like XIII, but the general consensus from the gaming community is that XIII is pretty bad, which I would agree with. I'd say play the first hour or two and if you don't like that, just stay away.
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 06 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

Perhaps! I know they're available on steam. Maybe I'll give it a go when I finish Twilight Princess HD, which I just recently picked up again after a short break. I finally beat Dust: An Elysian Tale, so I'm feeling quite highly of myself now. ^.^

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

I don't actually game that much - mostly just Tomb Raider, Skyrim (before I finished it), and the sims, so I guess those would be my favorites? Not sure, really.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

pumpkinmouse wrote:All of you are exponentially more fluent in gaming than I am, but Diablo II will always have my heart. I've been playing it for probably 10 years on & off, never seems to get old to me.
I've heard mixed reviews, but I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII. It did get repetitive at times, but the graphics & monsters were absolutely stunning. I'm more about the visuals than the actual quality, if that makes sense (not that it wasn't extremely well thought out & executed)
When I have the time / money I fully intend to try Ori. You guys have swayed me, lol. That aesthetic though Love
You should check out Grim Dawn on Steam. It was made by some of the developers of Diablo II and has quite a few similarities to that game. I don't think the system requirements are all that high, either.

Edit - Minimum specs are 2nd gen Intel Core i-series or equivalent and GeForce 6800 series or Radeon X600 series

Last edited by AnonONIagent on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 07 Jul 2016, 8:20 am

CinnamonPearl I was considering buying Dust: An Elysian Tale. Was it any good?

Lots of Mario Kart fans here Thumbs Up I've wasted many hours on that game.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next