Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urgent : very sick mouse

3 posters

Go down

Urgent : very sick mouse  Empty Urgent : very sick mouse

Post by Ink1Green Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:43 am

My boy merry is really not well. I have taken him to the vet, who has given me some anti biotics. She told me not to get my hopes up

I'm able to get a few drops of water and baby food down him, but he is very dehydrated and hasn't pooped in maybe 10 hours. Does anyone have any tips for encouraging him to poop and to hydrate him?
Ink1Green
Ink1Green

Back to top Go down

Urgent : very sick mouse  Empty Re: Urgent : very sick mouse

Post by Echoe77 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 2:11 pm

You can try Gatorade or Pedialyte. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet

Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:40 pm

Thinking back to almost five years ago, when my mum was on one of her post-hospitalization recuperation facility stays and refusing to eat or drink ...

She was not being hydrated intravenously because that was not part of the protocol there for somebody who was supposed to be doing physical therapy with the aim of returning home.  But she was getting mentally impaired from dehydration and just sleeping and sleeping and sleeping.  While she was sleeping all day I would take a straw, dip it into water with my finger over the top end of the straw, and then dribble a little bit of water just inside her lower lip.  Then I would watch for the swallow reflex.  I would keep this up until she would finally take in enough water to wake up and tell me to cut it out.

Maybe if you can find a sort of small, controllable applicator you can try something similar with Merry, to wet his "lip" area (not his chin or facial fur -- just along the mouth line).  A small piece of sponge or a cotton swab that you can gently squeeze the water from?  I don't know.

If you are feeding baby food, you can add extra water to that.  If it is baby cereal, you can make that pretty runny, and even add a bit of maple syrup or honey to entice Merry's appetite.  You can even see if he will eat it off your fingers if he will not eat from his regular bowl.  Baby food in the form of pureed fruit and vegetables may be providing good hydration on their own without being further watered down.  But if Merry refuses to eat or drink, he may just be caught in a physical spiral he cannot escape from: lack of eating leads to the beginning of starvation, which leads to further loss of appetite, which worsens the starvation symptoms, et cetera.

In a case of dehydration that is not responding to eating and drinking, a vet could administer saline solution by injection.  This could require multiple treatments, even multiple treatments per day.  What you need to watch out for is if you start to see the tail bones through the skin.  That is a sign of a dangerous level of dehydration, and you may lose the battle despite heroic efforts to save the patient.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down