Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

veggies and other food

3 posters

Go down

veggies and other food Empty veggies and other food

Post by muffin Fri 01 May 2020, 9:29 am

hi, i’m new to the forum and i’m not quite sure how it works, but i’m getting 3 mice next week and i need help figuring out their diet. i’ll be feeding the science selective rat and mouse food as their main food since it has a good amount of protein. am i right in thinking that i can give them unlimited of that? also i will feed them a seed mix, it’s the jr farm mouses feast seed mix and ill remove the corn. how much of that should i scatter feed in the cage every day? is a tbs ok? and for veggies what can i feed often? id like it if i can feed the same every time, with something different once a week. and one last question: can i give them sunflower seeds with the shell or without?
thanks (:

muffin

Back to top Go down

veggies and other food Empty Re: veggies and other food

Post by muffin Fri 01 May 2020, 10:26 am

can someone please respond?

muffin

Back to top Go down

Post by muffin Fri 01 May 2020, 2:47 pm

please

muffin

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 01 May 2020, 4:04 pm

Sorry we don't always respond quickly. Sometimes we take a few days to see a post or formulate an appropriate reply. (I'm still at work, and it can be a problem taking time for mousetalk while I'm on the clock, but I have no Web service or working computer at my house either.)

Mouse nutrition is not something I claim expertise in, but the collected wisdom of members of this site regarding feeding mice is available in the "stickied" topics under the Nutrition forum, "Mouse Diet" and "Safe Foods".

There are many safe vegetables, but one thing to remember is that when you provide fresh fruit or vegetables you will have to look for and clean out the uneaten materials before they spoil or grow bacteria. You might want to make a little salad bowl with small-torn greens and a few other small pieces of vegetable or fruit, then watch to see how much of what stuff your particular mousies show interest in. And try different things, even things that they rejected earlier, because their tastes may change.

As for sunflower seeds, one for each mouse every few days makes a fine treat. They're pretty high in fat. At the opposite end of that advice, my little April had sunflower seeds much more frequently, didn't care for running on her disk or wheel, and she was always a very trim mouse. The only real difference between with and without shell is that if the shell is on the mousies will get to give their teeth a valuable trimming workout to get at their beloved kernels.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Mon 04 May 2020, 8:03 am

Yeah, this forum isn’t as active as it used to be. It may be worth a shot to post in the mouse section of Hamster Hideout for a more timely reply if you really need one.

As for your questions:

Science Selective is a great pellet, but, looking at jr farm’s food, I’m not too impressed—the pieces look pretty large compared to what most mice would enjoy. I would consider having a look at Bunny’s mixes—their dwarf hamster and mouse mixes are fantastic. I know you can find Bunny Dwarf Hamster Dream off Zooplus.

Also, you should not pick anything out of the diet under any circumstances. Whatever is in the mix stays in the mix otherwise you could severely mess up the GA. While, yes, corn doesn’t have much nutritional value, that can be the entire point. Corn is great at making a mix less rich, particularly in protein and fat. I even have it in my homemade mix for that reason. Now, a mix with a lot of corn can be a sign of a lack of quality and could even make your mice malnourished, but it has its place in a high quality mix. Smile

I generally feed enough to cover the bottom of my bowl, which is around a tablespoon I would say? I refill every 1-2 days; basically whenever all of the pellets are gone.

As for veggies, this is the forum’s list of safe foods: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2-safe-foods

And this list, while targeted towards hamsters, is also a great resource:
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/96457-hamster-nutrition-v-safe-fruits-vegetables-and-other-dietary-supplements/

I generally feed a tsp per mouse every other day, but if your mice have never had veggies before you’ll want to wean them on by starting by feeding less frequently and in smaller amounts.
I personally usually feed a bit of salad mix (no added dressings) and some other veggies I happen to have on hand like carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, or green beans. Safe fresh plants like chickweed, dandelion, or clover can also be given if foraged from a safe place (no pesticides/herbicides, little chance of animals urinating on it, etc).

And, yes, sunflower seeds can be fed with or without the shell. Just be sure they’re unseasoned/unsalted.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down