Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing fruits and veggies?

3 posters

Go down

Introducing fruits and veggies? Empty Introducing fruits and veggies?

Post by tkstefan Mon 29 Jun 2020, 12:30 pm

Hi! I'm a new mouse owner (I only got two females a few days ago), and I'm currently feeding them Higgins Sunburst Gourmet rat/mouse food and they seem to love it. I read that I should start introducing fruits and vegetables, but they completely ignore them. Should I mix the fruit with the food? By the way, for fruit, I'm testing out apples or peeled grapes right now. Thanks for your help! And one more thing, they seem picky about treats, as well. One of them likes cheerios, but neither of them like brown rice, cashews, or pasta. What should I try? Thanks again!

tkstefan
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Introducing fruits and veggies? Empty Re: Introducing fruits and veggies?

Post by Peachy Mon 29 Jun 2020, 6:58 pm

Here’s a list of safe foods. You can find other snack ideas here! My mice have enjoyed plain popcorn, chia seeds, mealworms. You’ll have to play around to see what their favorites are.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2-safe-foods

You should only offer fresh fruits and veggies separately from their regular food, because any uneaten fresh foods will need to be removed so they don’t spoil and cause illness. You can refer to the list above to get new ideas about other fruits and veggies to try. It may just take a bit of trial and error for your girls to decide they like something. Don’t give up! Dehydrated fruits are safe to mix in, but it won’t guarantee your mice will eat them. Giggle

Many of my mice actually preferred veggies to fruits. Romaine lettuce and cabbage were always popular!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by tkstefan Tue 30 Jun 2020, 1:56 am

Thank you! If you don't mind, I do have one more question. How often should I feed them fruits/veggies?

tkstefan
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 30 Jun 2020, 7:32 am

A tablespoon 2-4 times a week is great. You’ll want to start slow with smaller quantities so they don’t get loose stools. Happy to help! Very Happy
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 01 Jul 2020, 11:59 am

Off the top of my head, little mousie April's three favorite produce items were romaine, banana (fresh, dried, or freeze-dried), and sweet potato (cooked and mashed).

If you can find some dandelions that have not been hit with chemical treatments, see what your mousies think of the flower tops after they turn to seed. Serve with about an inch of stem.

My little mousie girl was not at all interested in rice ... except when I let her have a taste of rice pudding. Then I thought she was going to tunnel into it and eat her way out!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down