Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Administering antibiotics

4 posters

Go down

Administering antibiotics  Empty Administering antibiotics

Post by Molly_mouse Wed 21 Oct 2020, 1:19 am

Hello! My mouse, Molly, was prescribed antibiotics today that I have to administer orally, and though it can be through food, I tried that and it doesn’t work for her. Giving her the medication was a long debacle today, that resulted in a grumpy mouse who had bitten me. She did this when I was trying to hold her in place for a few moments just to give her the medicine, which she has now decided is her worst enemy. She had never bitten me before, and it took me by surprise as we are actually very bonded and she usually trusts me. I have to do this every day for the new three weeks. Does anyone have any tips that can make her feel more comfortable and help the process be faster so that she feels more okay with it? I know this is something she isn’t ever going to enjoy but if anyone can help so that she doesn’t absolutely hate me at the end of all of this, that would be much appreciated.

Molly_mouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Administering antibiotics  Empty Re: Administering antibiotics

Post by Clementine Wed 21 Oct 2020, 7:33 am

Hmm...maybe give her treats each time you administer the medicine- maybe it will teach her that it's not all bad. I am nowhere near an expert on this, but hey, it worked for my little sister! Ear wiggle
Clementine
Clementine

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 21 Oct 2020, 8:12 am

I have never had to give a mouse medicine, but perhaps you could try using different food? Maybe she can smell it in the food when you tried that. Maybe something that smells strong enough to cover it? Or something she's never had before?
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by RaulA.S. Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:26 pm

Hi Molly_Mouse!

Sometimes it can be very difficult to give them antibiotics. My vet suggested I put a towel on my mouse before grabbing her to avoid having her associating my hand and the bad experience. Also, I find that in the towel they can’t slip out of my hand as easily as if they were Houdini lol.

The other thing I did was put the medicine on a cherios and since it is a treat, my mouse always go for it.

Hope it helps!!!

Good luck with the treatments!!

RaulA.S.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down