Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

+5
scaredymouse
Rodents rock!
CallaLily
Peachy
Cow
9 posters

Go down

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today Empty My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

Post by Cow Mon 11 Jul 2016, 6:56 pm

well

I don't really know how to write these things, but I lost Cow today to a respiratory infection. I went on a trip and when I came back, he had an RI. I hesitated at first on taking him to the vet, but did eventually get him on two weeks of Baytril. I keep telling myself things like "you should have gone immediately" and "you shouldn't have left him at the sitter's house but just left him in your apartment" and all sorts of "I should have ____." None of that is helpful though and I know it.

Despite the medicine, I think it was just too late. He could have had it for his entire time I was gone, because it just never really seemed to get him back to his healthy state. He improved for sure! Just not enough Sad

I came home from work, and my boyfriend was sitting on the living room couch. I asked him why he was sitting there doing nothing instead of on his computer or something, and then it dawned on me. He hesitated to answer and I said "did it happen" and he just nodded. I was literally holding snacks I bought for Cow on my way home in my hand. This feels pretty brutal.

I had a bad feeling last night, and gave him some extra attention and his favorite treats. I pet him and told him goodnight and I had a sense it might be the last time. I wish I could have been there in his final moments to hold him, but I'm glad he had a good last night.

He was the best little dude I could have asked for and I know I don't post terribly often, but we had a lot of amazing times together and I really enjoyed setting up my large bedroom table with toys galore and watching him go through them all and explore. His cage was totally stuffed with fun things and he ate a lot of good food! He had a life of good naps, snacks, fun and adventure. I loved him a lot, and I have a feeling he knew it. He was the best company, and I loved coming home and seeing his tiny face peek out at me and come out and climb onto my hand.

I made him a tumblr a while back. The pictures are pretty dated and I don't have the heart to dig through and upload my new ones but here it is if you want to take a look

http://moo-mouse.tumblr.com/

Thanks for reading,

Cow
Cow
Cow

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today Empty Re: My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

Post by Peachy Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

Oh, so sad. I'm so sorry. Sad
Cow was an adorably handsome boy. It's awful when you know what's coming, but I'm glad that he was able to have a good last night. I hope you're doing alright.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today Empty Re: My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

Post by Cow Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:14 pm

Thanks Abeona, I appreciate it.
In a way, I'm really just glad his suffering is over. I was thinking I'd put him down within the week since he just wasn't recovering or living a high quality of life anymore. It hurts, but I'm relieved too.

I wonder if my giving him an extra good night maybe made him feel like he could let go now. Maybe not, but the world is mysterious sometimes too.

We have a lovely group of girls at work, so maybe I'll take some home and continue making mice happy.
Cow
Cow

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 11 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 11 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Cow sure was a special little guy as well as adorable. I hope you are ok. Hugs.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:30 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. He was a good guy... and he had a spectacular mousetache.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

Oh no. I am so sorry. It's not hard to tell that he was truly loved. I'm devastated to hear this; he was such a wonderful boy. I'm sorry.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 12 Jul 2016, 6:35 am

So sorry for your loss Sad respiratory infections suck.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Tue 12 Jul 2016, 8:14 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can certainly relate, having lost both a cat and a mouse this past week.

My thoughts are with you.
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cow Tue 12 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

Thanks for all the messages everyone. Losing Cow has been hard on me, but I do feel much better now. I keep looking at where his tank used to be and that empty space is killing me. I think the only thing to do now is get some new mice, and use what he taught me to make them happy!

The title of my post is a quote from Watership Down that is used when a rabbit passes and it always sort of stuck with me. Credit to Richard Adams for that.

My thoughts are with you too, Anon
Cow
Cow

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Tue 12 Jul 2016, 9:16 pm

Sad Sorry to hear about poor Cow. He had a good life with you and I can tell he didn't want for anything.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down