Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should i get more mice?

2 posters

Go down

should i get more mice? Empty should i get more mice?

Post by 3nm4y4 Sat 26 Mar 2022, 8:10 am

Hi, ive got 2 mice, but im not sure if i should get more in case other one would die early. they have had an unknown disase of shorts and im afraid the new mice would catch it. i can hear my mice breathing and they might have a respiratory infection of dorts. ive tried antiparasitics and antibiotics thta haven't worked. ive gotten 2 new mice after the treatments in hopes the rattling breathing would be just an after effect. the young mice I've gotten have died, and I think the reason was the unknown disase. not sure what to do.
3nm4y4
3nm4y4

Back to top Go down

should i get more mice? Empty Re: should i get more mice?

Post by Peachy Sun 27 Mar 2022, 7:54 am

Hi. I would discuss this with your vet. Sometimes the lungs can become “scarred” from previous infections, which could contribute to ongoing breathing difficulties but not present any infection risk to other mice.

Other times it could be allergies to something in their environment, like a strong scent or a draft.

It’s also possible that a life long respiratory disease is affecting these mice, and in some cases a course of antibiotics can calm symptoms but it will never really be cured. In this case, you have to decide if you want to expose new mice (personally, I’ve gone this route with mature, strong, healthy mice and they stayed healthy) or start over with a healthy colony after your current girls have lived out their lives.

The decision will be easier when you know specifically what is going on with your ladies. I hope your vet can help you figure it out. Good luck!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down