Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor Miss Pussens (and $$ poor me!)

+3
Peachy
CallaLily
MesaMouse
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Poor Miss Pussens (and $$ poor me!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Poor Miss Pussens (and $$ poor me!)

Post by scaredymouse Fri 16 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

I like that story Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Poor Miss Pussens (and $$ poor me!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Poor Miss Pussens (and $$ poor me!)

Post by MesaMouse Tue 27 Dec 2016, 5:41 pm

Happily, Dr Danner didn't need to see Bochy today (diarrhea started again yesterday and vomiting today) and put her back on another 10 day course of Metronidazole (if it is IBS, she'll probably have to stay on that and/or Prednisone for the rest of her life). The vet doesn't think all of this is caused by a ginormous hairball clogging up the works and is pretty much ruling out stomach cancer as that would not have reacted so favorably to the Metronidazole. As all of this may also be triggered by a food allergy, off with the Hills i/d diet and on with the Royal Canin rabbit formula. I just got back from the vet's office to pick up the pills and the new food (they took back the remaining cans of Hills i/d for credit) but almost passed out when they told me the price of the 8lb bag of dry food: $71!!!! At least the canned food is about $0.50 less each than the Hills i/d. So, another $104 on AMEX today -- hey, building up those rewards points pretty fast these days. As soon as I got in, Bochy started a low-key version of her gimme food dance so I gave her a spoonful with a cleverly hidden pill. Last time around, the diarrhea and vomiting ceased around the second or third dose so paws crossed here!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 28 Dec 2016, 1:06 am

I feel your pain. Kevin is on lifelong prescription food and it is expensive. And to make matters worse, we have to feed it to both cats since they share food!

If she is going to need this food forever, you should check online with foster & smith. They have really good pricing, it's probably cheaper than the vet. If the food is Rx, they just need a prescription faxed before you can place the order. I love having this stuff delivered to my door Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Wed 28 Dec 2016, 9:50 am

scaredymouse wrote:I feel your pain.  Kevin is on lifelong prescription food and it is expensive.  And to make matters worse, we have to feed it to both cats since they share food!

If she is going to need this food forever, you should check online with foster & smith.  They have really good pricing, it's probably cheaper than the vet.  If the food is Rx, they just need a prescription faxed before you can place the order.  I love having this stuff delivered to my door Smile

At DrsFosterandSmith, the 8lb bag will run $63 and at chewy.com it's $59, also with free shipping. And I misread the receipt yesterday: the new canned food is $0.75 more per 5.6oz can than the Hills i/d, $3.17 vs $2.42. Apparently the first dose of Metronidazole has already started to work as there was no vomitus or diarrhea this morning. She had a second pill with a hefty spoonful of the precious wet food for breakfast today. She was still so hungry last night that I took pity on her and I gave her about 1/8 cup of the dry before bed which she really enjoyed and apparently tolerated very well. Once she's finished with the Metronidazole, I'll be able to cut back on the wet food to maybe one spoonful a day mixed with dry. If this is the brand of food she'll need going forward, I'll probably have to subsist on rice and beans as my sole income is Social Security and her food costs will take up more than my monthly food budget Laughing . There are other brands out there that are made with limited ingredients, usually venison or duck, that she may be able to tolerate down the road and that are available at Petco, PetSmart, Pet Club, etc.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3