Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Mice not getting along!

5 posters

Go down

Help! Mice not getting along! Empty Help! Mice not getting along!

Post by Cutestpuffstuff Fri 13 Oct 2017, 1:48 am

Okay I had 2 female mice, Nibbles and Tuffy, that I bought together from the pet store and they got along great!
Unfortunately Nibbles died and I got another female mouse, Fievel, to be a companion for Tuffy.
I introduced them in a play pin (neutral territory) and they seemed to get along good. They sniffed each other a bunch and groomed each other! They were together for a long time while I was deep cleaning their cage. When the cage was clean I put both mice in the cage. Then I heard loud squeaking and looked and saw that Tuffy was biting poor little Fievel. I stopped it and they went in opposite sides of the cage then Tuffy went back to Fievel and started biting her side again. I then took out Tuffy and put her in another cage by herself. Now I'm afraid to put Tuffy back in.
What should I Do? Do I put Tuffy back in?
What else should I do to help them get along?

Cutestpuffstuff

Back to top Go down

Help! Mice not getting along! Empty Re: Help! Mice not getting along!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 13 Oct 2017, 1:59 am

Sorry to hear that you lost Nibbles Sad

Was she biting her bad enough that it was bleeding? I've seen a mouse grab another mouse's fur and pull them back, I've seen mice kick each other like a boxing kangaroo, I've seen mice bite each other's tails and feet, I've seen them chase each other, and scream at each other. However, even after all that, all those mice managed to get along. So don't worry, it almost always works out! The main rule is "No blood, no problem", so as long as they aren't drawing any blood from each other, it should be ok.

Also, did you wash all the toys, clean the walls of the cage/tank, and replace the bedding with fresh bedding? You should do all of that before introducing them so that their main cage/tank is neutral too. Otherwise, the mouse that was living in it before thinks that everything is hers.

Lastly, trios often work out better than pairs, so if you are in the position to do it, and have the space and supplies, it might be best to introduce a third girl, to balance things out in their colony Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Help! Mice not getting along! Empty Help!

Post by Cutestpuffstuff Fri 13 Oct 2017, 11:33 pm

Okay I had 2 female mice, Nibbles and Tuffy, that I bought together from the pet store and they got along great!
Unfortunately Nibbles died and I got another female mouse, Fievel, to be a companion for Tuffy. 
I introduced them in a play pin (neutral territory) and they seemed to get along good. They sniffed each other a bunch and groomed each other! They were together for a long time while I was deep cleaning their cage. When the cage was clean I put both mice in the cage. Then I heard loud squeaking and looked and saw that Tuffy was biting poor little Fievel. I stopped it and they went in opposite sides of the cage then Tuffy went back to Fievel and started biting her side again. I then took out Tuffy and put her in another cage by herself.

The next day I put Tuffy back in with Fievel and it seemed okay at first but then Tuffy started chasing and biting Fievel. What can I do to help them get along?
How long does it take for female mice to get along after being introduced? Will they get along after one day?

Last edited by Peachy on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New comments)

Cutestpuffstuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:20 am

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Sorry to hear that you lost Nibbles Sad

Was she biting her bad enough that it was bleeding? I've seen a mouse grab another mouse's fur and pull them back, I've seen mice kick each other like a boxing kangaroo, I've seen mice bite each other's tails and feet, I've seen them chase each other, and scream at each other. However, even after all that, all those mice managed to get along. So don't worry, it almost always works out! The main rule is "No blood, no problem", so as long as they aren't drawing any blood from each other, it should be ok.

Also, did you wash all the toys, clean the walls of the cage/tank, and replace the bedding with fresh bedding? You should do all of that before introducing them so that their main cage/tank is neutral too. Otherwise, the mouse that was living in it before thinks that everything is hers.

Lastly, trios often work out better than pairs, so if you are in the position to do it, and have the space and supplies, it might be best to introduce a third girl, to balance things out in their colony Smile

Ditto. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 14 Oct 2017, 12:12 pm

Smarie95 wrote:The next day I put Tuffy back in with Fievel and it seemed okay at first but then Tuffy started chasing and biting Fievel. What can I do to help them get along?
How long does it take for female mice to get along after being introduced? Will they get along after one day?

@Smarie95 It can take up to two weeks for females to work out their hierarchy and settle down. It can look and sound awful while they're working out who's boss, but it's necessary. You have to let them work it out and NOT intervene. Separating them when there's no blood is counterproductive.

That said, I have a couple suggestions. Smile
1. We recommend quarantining before introducing new mice so you can make sure they're healthy and not pregnant, and also so you can tame them. Tame mice often do better in introductions. So I would give them a couple days (at least) to settle down and then try again.

2. Neutral territory for 30 minutes, and then move them to an empty, clean tank. If they do alright in their tank for 10 or so minutes, start slowly adding the basics. Food, water, and a hide. If they're still doing alright after some more time you can add the wheel, and the next day you can give them more toys. They have to start sharing the badic stuff, so just add the fun stuff slowly.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 14 Oct 2017, 1:00 pm

When I introduced my two female rattie girls, when I used to have rats, it sounded like they were killing each other, but no blood was drawn. They fought one more time in the middle of the night, and I was thinking to myself, oh no what have I done. The next morning they were sleeping together and were inseparable after that. Very Happy  So don't worry, they will eventually work it out. I would follow Peachy's suggestions and all will be fine. Keep us posted.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down