Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are these foods safe?

3 posters

Go down

Are these foods safe? Empty Are these foods safe?

Post by Sam Tue 14 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm

Hi! I've been referencing this forum for ages but haven't made an account until now. Let's hope I do this right! So I know a few of these foods are safe already, but I'm throwing it in here anyways.

Oats. Not quick oats, and not flavoured
Barley
Quinoa
Plain puffed rice cereal. No sugar, just rice
Dried mealworms. Too many is bad for hedgehogs because they can cause blockages due to their dry exoskeleton, but is it the same for mice?
Crickets. Dried and live?
Walnuts. Seems to be debatable
Raisins/sultanas. I know its on the dangerous list but again, it seems to be debatable
Dried coconut
Flax seed. Whole or milled?

Otherwise, what grains and nuts are safe? I'm having some trouble finding any others. Any help is appreciated, thanks Smile

Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Are these foods safe? Empty Re: Are these foods safe?

Post by CallaLily Tue 14 Aug 2018, 5:21 pm

Raisins are unclear. They’re considered unsafe for many pets but I haven’t been able to find any definitive answers on whether or not they’re safe for mice. Because of this I just choose to avoid them but I know there are others out there who feel differently.

The rest are all definitely safe.

Mealworms and crickets I personally limit to a few times a week and only a few at a time. Dried or live is fine with both, though don’t leave live crickets loose in their cage for too long. They can bite and get annoying. I’ve always just fed dried because it’s easiest. There’s also canned mealworms and crickets - maybe messy but safe too. I’ve never used them though.

Other safe grains and nuts: rye, spelt, wheat, millet, triticale, buckwheat, amaranth, pecans, pistachio, almonds (though some disagree on this but from all my findings sweet almonds are perfectly safe), peanuts (though a common allergen so many choose to avoid altogether)... I’m sure there’s tons more but that’s all I can think of at the moment.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 14 Aug 2018, 5:34 pm

Thanks very much! I took a screenshot and will be going shopping later today Smile I'll steer clear of raisins and see if I can find a muesli without them. Maybe I'll be able to find some plain dried banana to replace it

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Wed 15 Aug 2018, 5:04 pm

Banana Chips are always a favorite at my house! Between the mice and my daughter they go fast.

One for the mouse....one for her...one for the mouse...one for her. Laughing

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down