Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When should I add new mice?

4 posters

Go down

When should I add new mice? Empty When should I add new mice?

Post by River Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:24 pm

Graham is old -- she turned two years old this month and while she is still climbing everything and everyone like a two month old, she's not in perfect health, and I know that.

When do I add new mice? I want Garcia to have a friend to turn to when Graham passes and at this age, I can't even guess when that will be. I would also love for Graham to have more support in her hard time, but she's injured, she still makes herself bleed sometimes. The side affects of all the medicine is hard on her system and she has become bloated before, so she's not tip top otherwise either.

When is it time for new mice? When she heals, -- or now? Would new mice hurt her more during introduction, is it too risky?

Garcia may have a URI so obviously it's better to wait at least until that passes but Graham's health is very mysterious in nature. This problem she's having is unpredictable. I'm not sure how long it'll take for her to recover, so I don't know when it's best to add new mice.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

When should I add new mice? Empty Re: When should I add new mice?

Post by Jadamouse Mon 02 Apr 2018, 4:48 pm

i personally would not add any new mice, it could be extremely stressful especially if your mice are old and bonding works MUCH better if the mice are the same age.

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by JuniperBerry55 Mon 02 Apr 2018, 8:30 pm

I wouldn't add any new mice unless your others are at least in ok health. I had a 2+-year-old mouse who lost her friend and the change in her was huge, never coming out, stopped eating and I thought she was going to die. I got four baby girls as friends for her and she was so SO happy. She ran around like crazy and starting grooming and cuddling with them so I do think its important that they have the friendship. If she can get over the URI I don't see any problem with getting more mice to give her companionship

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 03 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm

I agree with the post above. You don’t want to intro until that URI is cleared up, but after is fine. All of my old gals have greatly enjoyed the addition of younger friends. It seemed to put a little more pep in their step even.

No matter what age, there is always a chance things won’t work out. But you never know until you try and friends are important for does. Honestly I’ve had more trouble with younger mice intro’d to younger mice than young to old or old to old.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 17 Apr 2018, 12:30 pm

Just thought I'd update this, it turns out Garcia did not have a URI. I think the allergy season was affecting her too, or something, because it went away before she even got to the vet.

Graham still has bald spots though. I think she's OCD at this point, as there's no other health condition to be found. We're working on it. The only breeders near me now only have ASFs though! The idea of introducing an ASF to a tiny, bald, two year old is frightening to me. Laughing
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down