Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safe Foods

+22
disastervibe
MiasMice
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Rara
dawnkittenz
The4Mouseketeers
emmaflea
antant26
River
stephlisa
Mirabelle
AnonymousMouseOwner
GAJones4221
goldfishfanforever
Peachy
maygins
MesaMouse
CallaLily
olimarthemouse
Rodents rock!
GabbiLuvsMice
Artistwolf
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

safe food list - Safe Foods - Page 4 Empty Re: Safe Foods

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Fri 13 Nov 2020, 2:42 am

@disastervibe

I’ve heard that rodent owners (rabbits, rats, mice etc.) should avoid Alfalfa hay because it isn’t a ‘grass’ hay & contains more natural sugars that actually impede digestion rather than help it like grass hay does.

I personally stick to Timothy hay.
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

Back to top Go down

Post by Floopsy Fri 13 Nov 2020, 4:40 pm

Mir’s Many Mice wrote:@disastervibe

I’ve heard that rodent owners (rabbits, rats, mice etc.) should avoid Alfalfa hay because it isn’t a ‘grass’ hay & contains more natural sugars that actually impede digestion rather than help it like grass hay does.

Switching my mix from one with timothy and alfalfa hay to one with just alfalfa meal, so interested in any further info.

A rat owner once mentioned to me it might be a possible allergen, but grass and hay are both listed as safe here.

By 'more natural sugars' might they mean more soluble fiber? Which should be fine as long as they are getting an appropriate amount. As for digestion of alfalfa in particular, I found this article mentioning "It contains many enzymes, including amylase, invertase, and pectinase, so it can be used as digestive aids."

Floopsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Sat 14 Nov 2020, 12:01 am

It’s been a few years since I was last able to look into this topic & you bring up some new points!

I’ll have to dig deep again and try to find some of my old sources & some new ones.
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Sat 14 Nov 2020, 4:34 pm

Floopsy wrote:

Switching my mix from one with timothy and alfalfa hay to one with just alfalfa meal, so interested in any further info.

A rat owner once mentioned to me it might be a possible allergen, but grass and hay are both listed as safe here.

By 'more natural sugars' might they mean more soluble fiber? Which should be fine as long as they are getting an appropriate amount. As for digestion of alfalfa in particular, I found this article mentioning "It contains many enzymes, including amylase, invertase, and pectinase, so it can be used as digestive aids."

Thanks guys! I just got some timothy hay since that's what the store had anyway that wouldn't break the bank.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 15 Nov 2020, 1:36 pm

and @disastervibe

Mice do not naturally consume a lot of hay; in cages it's more used for enrichment than anything. In addition, mice should never be fed hay-based pellets as mice cannot process hay well. So, since it isn't ingested in a large enough quantity for nutrition to be worried about, what you really should be looking for is a soft-stemmed hay. From my experience orchard grass hay is best.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Sun 15 Nov 2020, 5:37 pm

Robin~ wrote:

and @disastervibe

Mice do not naturally consume a lot of hay; in cages it's more used for enrichment than anything. In addition, mice should never be fed hay-based pellets as mice cannot process hay well. So, since it isn't ingested in a large enough quantity for nutrition to be worried about, what you really should be looking for is a soft-stemmed hay. From my experience orchard grass hay is best.

Yeah, I know they don't tend to really eat it so much as use it for nesting and such, I just am kinda a worry-wort (nervous soon-to-be mouse parent) and didn't want to put something in their cage that could be bad for them.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 20 Nov 2020, 12:47 am

Does anyone know about oregano? When I look it up all I can find is that it smells so some people use herbs to deter wild mice, but nothing about it being edible. Rats can apparently eat it if that's any help?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 20 Nov 2020, 10:47 pm

@River Oregano is safe!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 20 Nov 2020, 10:52 pm

Thanks. Smile

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

safe food list - Safe Foods - Page 4 Empty amaranth

Post by disastervibe Mon 23 Nov 2020, 10:45 pm

Is amaranth safe for mice? I know it is for rats.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Tue 24 Nov 2020, 11:12 am

disastervibe wrote:Is amaranth safe for mice? I know it is for rats.

Yup! Most other flour seeds are safe, too, including sorghum, quinoa, and all varieties of millet. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Tue 24 Nov 2020, 5:35 pm

Robin~ wrote:
disastervibe wrote:Is amaranth safe for mice? I know it is for rats.

Yup! Most other flour seeds are safe, too, including sorghum, quinoa, and all varieties of millet. Smile

Thanks! Turns out my girls really do not like sorghum (big part of the higgin's sunburst I bought lmao) or those cylindrical lab blocks that come in the higgin's sunburst, so I'm trying to find out different things they like, and amaranth seemed like a nutritious seed to try.

PS In the mean time I'm mixing in some Science Selective Supreme Rat and Mouse food in with the Sunburst (50/50 ratio) so they don't have glaring nutritional deficiencies.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4