Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new Betta Fish!!

+10
Peachy
Bandit Cat
AnonymousMouseOwner
CinnamonPearl
Rodents rock!
scaredymouse
Brynne
MouseLover
olimarthemouse
Artistwolf
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My new Betta Fish!! - Page 2 Empty Re: My new Betta Fish!!

Post by Bandit Cat Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:47 am

Your new betta fish is just gorgeous! I have 6 bettas, and I always get super excited when I get the next one. Plastic plants are usually fine, as long as they don't have any sharp or jagged edges. Live or silk plants are also a good alternative. ADFs and bettas have been reported to live together, but I wouldn't recommend it if your betta is a "bottom sitter", as a frog could stress him out. Frogs are also most active at night, so if he likes to sleep on the bottom, a moving frog could startle him and wake him up.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

That's awesome! Alright, I'll be sure to check for sharp edges Smile Thanks! Ah, I see. I guess it all depends on the Betta.

My dad is really concerned because the rasboras seem a little "scared" of the Betta. The Betta has ignored them the whole time, but the rasboras do tend to stick in a little group and when food is put into the fish tank, they don't race to the top and enthusiastically eat like they usually do. Is there a reason for this, or a way I can change it? Will it get better on its own, or is this just typical of having a Betta in a community tank?

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:30 am

I'm not sure. I've always kept my betas in bowls. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:45 am

Pretty!! I love looking at the bettas when Evan drags me to the fish store. His fishies are too good for Petco/PetSmart. Wink
I had one named Finley. I tried to give him a pet snail, but he would swim across his 10 gallon, knock it off the wall, and leave. Poor snail never got to climb, so I got a second snail and gave them their own 10 gallon. I hated cleaning, but making "snail jello" was fun. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:49 am

Handsome boy! Fishy is quite a looker as well.

He's a new bigger fish, I'd imagine after a week or so the rasboras will get used to him and realize he's not a threat. Then they'll be back to their normal behavior.

I had a betta in with dwarf frogs, with no issues.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:58 am

Usually when you add a fish that is bigger then the rest, the smaller ones will be scared for a while. They should get more confident with time. If they don't, you can always add more plants near the front to draw them to the security of the plant.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 04 Jul 2016, 3:33 pm

Ah, thanks guys! My mom and I agree that he's the prettiest fish in the tank by far Smile 
We added a nice big plant (I'm sort of wondering if it's too big Laughing) so I think they'll feel safer now Smile

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:27 pm

Artistwolf wrote:My dad is really concerned because the rasboras seem a little "scared" of the Betta. The Betta has ignored them the whole time, but the rasboras do tend to stick in a little group and when food is put into the fish tank, they don't race to the top and enthusiastically eat like they usually do. Is there a reason for this, or a way I can change it? Will it get better on its own, or is this just typical of having a Betta in a community tank?

They'll get used to it, don't worry. So long as you don't see him acting overly aggressive towards them, it's fine. Just be on the look out for any torn fins in your rasboras in case he starts bullying them.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Tue 05 Jul 2016, 3:00 pm

Nice! Only one of my bettas can live with ADF's without trouble, and the rest would tear the poor thing to shreds if they had the chance! So I'd be careful and have a back up plan for the frogs, but if it works out they are awesome! They can be tricky to keep alive though, as many pet store frogs have red leg disease and die in a week. Others refuse to eat frog pellets, and fish flakes are bad for them, so I have to take them out in a cup every day and tweezer feed them frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. So... If you're prepared for all that, go for it! There are tons of places you can go to finish up your research.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 06 Jul 2016, 2:27 pm

Thanks! That's all very good to know Smile I didn't realize ADFs could be so mean! Haha. Anyway, thanks for the advice Ear wiggle 

Oh, and good news! As you guys said they would, the rasboras are acting a lot more comfortable around the Betta now!

Bad news: He still doesn't have a name! I'm thinking...

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 06 Jul 2016, 4:23 pm

Mr Bubbles Wink

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 06 Jul 2016, 4:47 pm

My betta's name was Captain Finley. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 06 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

Name him The Absolute God of Hyperdeath.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm

MouseLover wrote:Mr Bubbles Wink
Haha cute! I think that would be cuter for a blue Betta though.

Captain Finley is a great name! I'm thinking something dragon-like for my guy. He's big, he's red, and he has scales (right? Fish do have scales, right? Ugh I'm so tired, I could be totally wrong here). So he needs a dragon-like name, me thinks. I need to look through my Wings of Fire books. Maybe there's a good name of a skywing that I can use (skywing safe red. You'd get what I'm saying if you read the books, lol).

CinnamonPearl wrote:Name him The Absolute God of Hyperdeath.
lol what?! Where'd you get that from!?  🤣

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:Pretty beta! I have a beta too, his name is Fishy --- I know, real original. Very Happy  Here is a photo of him.My new Betta Fish!! - Page 2 Win_2017

Sorry to sound intruding, but how big is this tank? It looks kinda small, plus it's taller than it is wide (and bettas tend to swim horizontally, rather than vertically, so the wider, the better.)

Again, not to be intruding - it could easily just be how the picture looks!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next