Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds

3 posters

Go down

*urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds  Empty *urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds

Post by wormgermz Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:58 am

I really need help. A few days ago I went to change my 2 mice's food and I noticed one of them had 4 open wounds on her back and shoulder. they get along very well and I've had them for a little over a year, but I assumed they had gotten into a fight so I separated them until her wounds healed. I went to check on her again today and she had another wound, so it wasnt caused by fighting because they're still separated. She seems to be itching almost nonstop, but my other one is completely fine so I dont think its mites. I changed their bedding in case it was caused by allergies but still no improvement. I can't take her to the vet because of the virus, so I would really appreciate any advice.

wormgermz

Back to top Go down

*urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds  Empty Re: *urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds

Post by Robin~ Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:32 pm

Hello!

What's the protein percentage of their food? Some mice can be more sensitive to high protein levels (generally above 14-15%).

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

*urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds  Empty Re: *urgent* itchy mouse with open wounds

Post by wormgermz Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:37 pm

I'm not sure honestly. My mom did buy a different kind of food than we normally get by accident, do you think that could be the problem? She hasnt had any problems up until about 4 days ago.

wormgermz

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:41 pm

wormgermz wrote:I'm not sure honestly. My mom did buy a different kind of food than we normally get by accident, do you think that could be the problem? She hasnt had any problems up until about 4 days ago.

Depends what food it is—is there any sort of labelling or branding on it?
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by wormgermz Sat 25 Apr 2020, 12:47 pm

Unfortunately I put their food in a separate container so I threw the bag away. Is there any food you reccomend that I could switch to? I dont mind throwing what I have away and switching to a different kind if it's healthier for them.

wormgermz

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sat 25 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm

Sure thing; I did a write-up just recently (still adding to it if you find something new). Here's the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tlKugiWbxFFnE8uz-wEooidh_BZRLO6-bZWO4C_cdjs/edit?usp=sharing

Personally, if you're in the States, I would recommend a mix of Oxbow Adult Rat and some sort of recommended seed mix.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by wormgermz Sat 25 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

Thanks so much! I'll order some as soon as possible. We also found a vet clinic that's still open so we'll be taking her on monday. Thanks for the help!

wormgermz

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Fri 08 May 2020, 5:16 pm

How is your mouse doing?

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by wormgermz Fri 08 May 2020, 8:14 pm

she seems to be doing a little better. I took her to the vet and they said this issue is most likely caused by hormone problems due to her age and that there was nothing they could really do. She still has a few wounds but they seem to be healing and aren't bleeding anymore.

wormgermz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down